Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oldmanmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Edmond, OK
I've probably messed setting the printer up to print using WiFi. I had it it USB wired originally, but went WiFi so that my wife could use the printer. She has a PC and uses the WiFi to print, but I can not connect in that fashion. I am on the net via WiFi, just not the printer.
What settings do I need to change/look at? Is it in the iMac or printer ?

TIA, OMM:cool:

lotones

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
If I'm not mistaken it's usually both. It varies depending on the make and model of your printer, but generally you usually set the printer to look for your network, then find the printer with the Print & Scan control panel on your Mac.

Check your printer manual if you still have it, or find it online.

Oldmanmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Edmond, OK
Thanks for the reply.

Wouldn't the printer already have found the network if the wife could print from it? (seems so to me).
Nothing found in the System Pref settings to re-start things.

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
In System Preferences -> Print/Scan, do you see the wireless printer listed in the left-hand pane?

If so, you should be able to select it as the printer of choice when you invoke the print dialog. Can you?

If not, can you add the wireless printer by clicking on the plus sign at the bottom left of the left-hand pane? Does the wireless printer show up in the Add Printer dialog?

If your wife can see the printer on the network, we can safely exclude the printer as the problem. It is obviously on the network.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I've probably messed setting the printer up to print using WiFi. I had it it USB wired originally, but went WiFi so that my wife could use the printer. She has a PC and uses the WiFi to print, but I can not connect in that fashion. I am on the net via WiFi, just not the printer.
What settings do I need to change/look at? Is it in the iMac or printer ?

TIA, OMM:cool:

Setting up a Wi-Fi printer is pretty simple if you can read and follow directions. The first thing to do is install the printer on your Wi-Fi network, if the printer has a LCD screen there is probably a screen called Network, click on that and look for the Setup or Network Wizard. Follow the on-screen directions and it should install, if your network is secure you will need the network key code. Then on the iMac click the Print & Scan Preference and look to see if the printer is now seen in the left pane, if it is then you're done. If not click the + symbol in the box on the left and let OS X look for the printer.

Of course you can also follow Apple's simple instructions in:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4670 beginning where it says "How to Add a Printer."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.