iMac 2011 main bay HDD/SSD upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dnix, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Dnix, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

Dnix macrumors 6502

2. Dnix thread starter macrumors 6502

So what happened to failed Apple hardware checks, out of control fans, etc?

3. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

OK ... I have a question ... :)

The link to OWC and their upgrade service (above) mentions adding a 3rd SSD to the iMac and says that the SDHC flash card reader will no longer be functional.

Does this mean that the flash card reader is SATA and they are using that SATA channel for the SSD? Or, are they putting the SSD in the optical drive slot, using the optical drive SATA channel, and for some unknown reason causing the SDHC card reader to be disabled?

from the OWC page:
    IMPORTANT: This option requires that the built-in Apple SDHC Memory Card Reader be disabled, so the OWC 68-in-1 Media Reader/Writer (USB 2.0 External) is included. The OWC Reader supports the same SD Slot functionality as well as additional media card types including Compact Flash, SmartMedia, MMC, and more.

-howard

4. Dnix thread starter macrumors 6502

To add a third SSD you use the optical drive SATA channel. It's possible the drive and card reader are rigged together, somehow. The reader cannot function without the drive being present?

Back to the topic though. I'd just like to know what OWC's "proprietary method" was, for swapping the main bay HDD. They were able to bypass hardware checks, and have no fan problems. They said the service would be offered, but the method was not being disclosed. It could be common knowledge by now, I haven't been "in the know". But at the time it seemed a fairly special thing...

5. Dnix thread starter macrumors 6502

Bump. Anyone?

Is it just a matter of buying the right drive?

6. Richdmoore, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Four options as far as I can tell:

1: Install SSD and "short circuit" the temp input, as a SSD runs far cooler. (I believe this is also the solution apple uses for it's SSD only iMac configuration.

2: Install hdd, and use Software to control fans. (The apple hardware test will show errors.

3: Install Gravis Cbreeze chip. (From what I can tell they are not available for purchase, but are used by Gravis and probably OWC for the turnkey installs.)
    Info: http://translate.google.com/transla...technik-service/aufruestungen/gravis-cbreeze/

Edit: I checked some other web pages, they said they supply owc, who uses it for their installs. Neither company will sell just the Cbreeze chip directly to consumers.

4: Find a used apple hard drive with the proprietary firmware.

It's crazy a good solution has not been found yet, to self install. This makes AppleCare even more important for the iMacs than before. If I had a failed hard drive, I think I would just opt for either an internal SSD with "short" and hook up an external FireWire 800 spinning hard drive for increased storage.

7. Dnix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input.

I remember this company, the German guys. I wondered if OWC developed their own device similar to the Cbreeze. Where does it say they supply OWC, on their website somewhere? :eek:

This makes the turnkey slightly more tempting...