iMac 2011 multi monitors, different resolutions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KRBNYC, Jul 16, 2011.

1. KRBNYC macrumors newbie

I'm buying an iMac 2011 i&. How many extra monitors can it run? I have a 21" WACOM CINTIQ and a 30" Cine display that I want to run off the iMac's THUNDERBOLT ports, at different resolutions native resolutions.
    Can this be expected of the iMac?

Thanks!

K

2. monaarts macrumors 65816

The 21.5" iMac can run one external monitor while the 27" imac can run two external monitors. All two or three monitors can have different resolutions. So based on your needs, you would have to have the 27" iMac to make it work as you'd like.

3. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

I agree with what monaarts said, but I just wonder for a second at the pics posted showing a MBP running 2 additional screens (screens that we assume are Thunderbolt ACDs). So I think it's possible that with a 21" iMac and one of those new ACDs, you could daisy chain through the ACD to a non-TB monitor and run 3 that way, but it's speculative.

I'm planning to run my 27" TB iMac with a 30" (over the painfully expensive dual-link DVI-mDP adapter - buy from Monoprice) and also a 720" projector. Since I'll be pushing like 9 million pixels, I opted for the 2GB video card.

4. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'd recommend you make sure there are adaptors for whatever connections you need, if you haven't already.

5. monaarts macrumors 65816

OMG... Could you imagine a 27" iMac with 4 external 27" Cinema Displays??? :eek: 5 x 27" Displays would be AWESOME!!!!!! lol

6. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

She shall be mine! :D