Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Yury

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Hi Folks,

Can I replace the HDD for SSD in new iMac with no issues?
Maybe someone has an experience in it?

I was googling, but no results till now. On hardmac says that it's impossible but date of that post is may 14. At OWC nothing new.

Tnx in advance!

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
So you would like the possibility of having 2 SSD's in your iMac. It is possible but you have to take apart the mac which is a pain. Check out the iFixit teardown

Comment

Yury

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
So you would like the possibility of having 2 SSD's in your iMac. It is possible but you have to take apart the mac which is a pain. Check out the iFixit teardown

Replacing HDD with SSD is no big deal, I was asking about fan issue that OWC was talking about.

Comment

Yury

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
If that's the case, put in an ssd in addition to the HD and boot off of that. No fan control issues then.

I know, but wanna to pull out HDD for NAS. And honestly, I don't like an idea to jerking off with additional cables, with taking out motherboard & others...

Just replacing is much easier & not so painful :cool:

Comment

naiver12

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
You could use the ssdfanctrl to controll the Fan speed. Im using it about one year now, without any problems. I replaced the HDD with a Crucial m4

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.