Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ninja342

macrumors newbie
Original poster
I am probably going to purchase the new :apple: iMac when it releases next week but i dont know what the specs will be or whether it will be a worthy upgrade from the current model. will the specs be good enough or do you think i should just buy a discounted current model?

Chris5488

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Belgium
Well, wait untill the refresh, it's next Tuesday and you'll know :)

What are you planning to do with your iMac? The current iMac is powerfull enough for most tasks. Choose that one as refurb when the new iMac comes out. However if you are planning to play newer games, do (HD) video-editing or other demanding tasks you'd better pick the 2011 iMac.

The new 2011 iMac will have faster Sandy Bridge CPU's and Thunderbolt. Probably also better GPU's.

But I also want to add you'd better look around here on Macrumors before starting yet another topic. This has been discussed for multiple times already.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
Sorry to be very daft but has anyone confirmed the iMacs release next week, let alone from Apple?

Not daft at all. People are just assuming it's the case because of promotional materials being switched out on Tuesday.

It's possible, sure. But far from confirmed.

Ninja342

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Well, wait untill the refresh, it's next Tuesday and you'll know :)

What are you planning to do with your iMac? The current iMac is powerfull enough for most tasks. Choose that one as refurb when the new iMac comes out. However if you are planning to play newer games, do (HD) video-editing or other demanding tasks you'd better pick the 2011 iMac.

The new 2011 iMac will have faster Sandy Bridge CPU's and Thunderbolt. Probably also better GPU's.

But I also want to add you'd better look around here on Macrumors before starting yet another topic. This has been discussed for multiple times already.

Thanks for the advice and im going to be doing video editing and games (portal 2!) so ill probably just get the new one. and im new to macrumours so i didn't really think to look around first :S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.