iMac 2011 (visual editing)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AJR2014, Oct 8, 2014.

1. AJR2014 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am considering an iMac 2011 one.

What does it perform like with videos at 1080p and editing?

Your thoughts?

Thanks

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Mine performs fine.

3. fisha macrumors regular

Likewise ... it runs fine. Mine is a 27" 8Gb Ram, 2Tb HDD 3.4 i7 ... bought it refurb a while back.

I'm certainly no pro, so I don't worry about the absolute fastest. Mine handles 1080 video without much fuss really. I run Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop and Lightroom on it. The AMD card handles the Adobe GPU accelerations available to it, and scrubbing through video is pretty seamless. ( i do use an external firewire drive to store the source files )

rendering out 1080 files is acceptable ... if its basic cutting and editing, then its pretty decent.

The only areas where it slows sometimes is:
    the wait on the HDD's to spin up from standby,
    the loading of programs for the first time
    or swapping between the large programs, both open and working on large files (say Photoshop to premiere).

I had considered changing to SSD, but the reality is that once a program is up and running, then the general usable performance is fine, and that the money would maybe better going towards RAM first.

4. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

As long as you upgrade the RAM to 8GB+ it's perfectly usable. I have one myself, upgraded to 12GB RAM. The only thing it needs now is an SSD, but I'm saving that money for my next computer.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I have a 21" 2011 iMac base model that I've since upgraded with a 750GB Fusion Drive and 28GB of RAM, and it absolutely flies. They are still wonderful, fantastically expandable machines.