iMac 2011 WiFi issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Wreckie, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Wreckie macrumors regular

Hello,
    I am experiencing WiFi problem after upgrading SL->Lion. My WiFi always shows connected to router in menu bar, but actually connection gets flawed. For instance in safari it just keeps loading for webpage, but thats it, blue loading bar gets stuck. It can be easily fixed with turning off Wi-Fi and then back in, but same problem occurs again after some time. Any fix?

Thanks in advance.

2. Wreckie thread starter macrumors regular

3. mackk macrumors member

I have this problem! Internet is good for about 15-30mins, then I have to turn wi-fi off then on to reset.
    The internet provider and router don't seem to be problematic on other devices. And I ran a few speed tests, looks like it's an iMac issue.
    We just got the computer for Christmas 2011. It's wonderful otherwise.

Did you discover a solution?

4. Fonze, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

Fonze macrumors newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtxRfFAh8Pg
    My first post here.
    Got my first Apple computer, a 27 Imac MC814, 3 days ago and have experienced the same wifi problem. Did a search last night and the problem seems common on Lion. Found a site where the Snow Lion wifi driver had been extracted. I installed this and no wifi disconnet problem any longer, but Airdrop does not work any longer and you have to manual connect to wifi after boot. will post link later if interested
    Fonze

5. onthecouchagain, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I get the same problem using the ethernet cable. Sometimes I'll wake my iMac and it'll say no internet connection even though all my other devices connected to my router will have connection. Likewise, I have to turn my WiFi on then off to get it started, and then the ethernet connection comes through and I can get online again. And this is how I have to do it every single time. All my investigation has led me to believe it also has nothing to do with the router/cable modem.

This has been happening intermittently since I got my 2011 iMac last summer (running Lion). If it's software related, as I suspect, Apple ought to fix this. There's an Apple Support thread started about this exact problem regarding the dropped connection while using ethernet cable.

EDIT: As for you guys, this thread at Apple Support might help you guys with the WiFi issue: https://discussions.apple.com/message/15980202#15980202

6. razvansky macrumors newbie

7. Fonze macrumors newbie

im running 10.7.2 and had the problem, so not sure if an update to 10.7.2 will solve it.
    will there be any issues if i download and install the update even if im running 10.7.2??? sorry for noob question

8. Mac-Mac-McAfee macrumors member

I have the same issues with my new iMac also. Thought it was just my crappy ISP.

As soon as I noticed it I google searched and found the Apple forum others have posted on here.

I now just keep Network Diagnostics open and can watch my computer disconnect itself from the Internet. I can see why onthecouchagain is having issues even with wired connection. This is because my connection fails at the internet step. The wi-fi, wi-fi settings, network settings and ISP are always connected. The connection fails at the internet stage which in turn fails the server section.

Hope apple has a fix soon...

9. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I haven't noticed it on my '11 iMac but I am running 10.7.3.
    The other 3 laptops on 10.7.2 don't have a problem either. Lucky maybe, or 7.3 fixed it before I really noticed it.

10. razvansky macrumors newbie

Update

Hi, and here a quick follow up.

Mmomega: Wow I missed that. I haven't checked if I had 10.7.3 installed :p.

I just started "System Update ..." and I was informed I am running the latest version.

I proceeded installing 10.7.2 (see the link in my previous post; it's an 800MB download so I used wired LAN). I closed all applications first!

After a restart (I unplugged the ethernet cable), I had to login and the WiFi on my iMac seemed to be stable. Even after waking up my iMac from sleep, Internet over WiFi worked straight away.

I was able to even stream movies and pictures to my apple tv 2 (just replaced my atv 1).

It really seems to work for me!

I will keep you updated.

11. razvansky macrumors newbie

Hi Fonze,

as I wrote I forgot to check my Lion OS release before the update.

The general ideea on that thread (see my post for the link) was that one needs to "reinstall" 10.7.2

12. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

10.7.3 is not out yet for everyone. Just developers or users who paid to use the developer services.
    Sometimes downloading the combo version of 10.7.2 can cure certain ailments that present themselves in the single .1 (delta) releases. Same releases that you get if all you do is run Software Update and are currently only one version behind. More than one version and you download the combo. I'd first try to re-apply the 10.7.2 Combo patch and see if the issue is better. Otherwise 10.7.3 shouldn't take too long to green light.

13. Fonze macrumors newbie

As i wrote in another wifi thread here, i installed the 10.7.2 update combo even if i already had that version running. No wifi problem for the last 3 hours.

14. brachson macrumors member

try to play with WiWI channels. I set from auto to 9 and it works fine now.

15. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

16. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

This. Try it. It takes 1-5 min. Or you could futz around with stuff you probably don't understand. Not you Fonze, the rest.
    Are you going to make me quote myself?

17. iFalcon macrumors regular

I had opened a case a few weeks ago after receiving our iMac and experienced the exact same thing with Wifi dropping connections.

For the past several weeks I have been using a network cable without problem. I ran the combo update last night and to my surprise, no wifi drops. Prior to that, I would drop connection several times in an hour or two.

18. mackk macrumors member

I'm going to try the 10.7.2 combo as well. Just wish my computer would stay on line for the duration of the download...snap!

19. mrzeigler macrumors regular

I am so ****ing disgusted with this problem. I bought my 27" iMac with SL installed and experienced no wifi problems with my old Airport Extreme.

I waited nearly a full month to take advantage of the free upgrade to Lion and have experienced seven months of regular wifi problems since.

It had been an easy-but-incredibly-annoying fix to correct the problem of wifi dropping when waking the computer ... I'd simply unplug the Airport Extreme, plug it back in and it worked. It was a major pain in the ass, but it was the only solution I'd tried that worked.

Then today, after working 13 hours, I came home to discover that this fix no longer worked. As if I weren't in a bad enough mood ... I now have my ethernet cable jacked into my iMac and my family's iPod Touch, iPad and iBook all are useless re: internet connectivity. Nothing I've tried has worked.

I've been a loyal Apple consumer since the mid1990s ... and I am more thoroughly disgusted by this than the ceaseless crashes of OS8 and the need for Conflict Catcher and those other apps that were necessary just to keep a machine running during that era.

If Apple does not fix this problem and fix it soon, it has the potential, more than any other problem, of eroding all sense of loyalty I have to this brand. After years of telling my PC friends "It just works," I'm just ****ing sick of this.

20. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Did you re-apply the Combo 10.7.2 updater? That has worked for a few users.

21. mrzeigler, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012

mrzeigler macrumors regular

Yes, I did.

Ultimately, I settled on a not-so-elegant workaround but an effective one (for me, at least).

Of the five internet devices in my household, only one — my 2011 iMac — is running Lion. It is located next to my cable modem.

So I turned off wifi on my 2011 iMac and booted up my old iLamp (which is running Leopard) that sits next to it. I reset my Airport Base Station Extreme via Leopard's Airport Utility. Consistent wifi was restored to the iLamp, MacBook (Leopard), iPad 2 and an iPod Touch.

I'm now headed out to buy another ethernet cable that I'm going to use to connect the modem and my 2011 iMac.

End result? All of my portable devices will have wifi internet and my desktop that's running Lion will, too. In fact, my iMac will have faster internet with the ethernet connection. Give how rarely we use the printer in our house, the few times I'll have to disconnect the printer from the Airport and into my iMac won't be a nuissance.

Since the MacBook is provided by my wife's employer, I don't expect it to be upgraded to (or replaced with a machine with) Lion for at least two years, so hopefully by the time I have to again worry about wifi with portable devices, the problem will be resolved.

Am I satisfied with Apple? Hell no. If our laptop had an up-to-date OS, this would not be an option. But it works for us.

22. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Wait for a patch and try again. FYI, your "internet" will not be faster with ethernet. Your network speed is but only major players have internet connections that can saturate their link speeds. Say you have 30Mb connection that's like 3.2MB/s download speed. Your Wifi can handle 320Mb and ethernet 1000Mb plenty of room on both as you can only push 30Mb.

23. mackk macrumors member

Combo didn't work for me. Unless I installed it wrong.

24. mackk macrumors member

Any news on this issue? It's really getting frustrating.