imac 2011

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aslam786, Jan 24, 2012.

1. aslam786 macrumors newbie

hey guys i realy need your help

iwe just bought a new imac 2011 2.5- 2.7 ghz and i really like it.

but lately i started to google about imac issues, and came over imac who gets heated, and som other issues. and im really scared. maybe i should have bought another pc (windows) or an laptop from apple.
    i really dont want something to happen to my imac, cuz i really dont want this all reparing problem, i had it with my iphone last year, 2 brand new iphone back cuz of sound problem, and the 3 one apple gave was fine, but lately iwe noticed som problems with that to. with all due respect apple got an amazing support, but thats not enough! i i dont want to repeat all the reparing process! its a headach! so my question is should i keep the imac or give it back and take the money or by an laptop maybe a macbook pro or air! because i noticed that my imac gets very hot on the back of the screen and og the tp where the facetime camera is! iwe read about smc fan controll and bla bla bla! but im not a computer genious! i also hav this istat wich i see probaly 10 times in a day! and iwe noticed 70-80 degress celcius! after playing the mafia 2 og left 2 dead 2! iwe also noticed when playing game sudently the imac stops or falls out! guys help me iwe paid alooooot for the imac and i really like it! but what should i do? iwe got 15-16 days to give it back and tak cash or another product due to there costumer policy!

soory about the poor english im from scandinavia! dont speak english!

thanks anyway, plzz give me easy answer cuz i really dont now much abourt hardwere and ram and all that:)

2. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

If I had to do it again (and knowing what I know today), I'd get a Mac Air (largest screen) or even a PC/Windows (large screen) portable for my Home User tasks and get the XBox 360 for my games. A computer is a computer and a gaming machine is a gaming machine. Trying to merge both technologies into one is often fruit cocktail - instead of Apples and Game Console boxes. Besides this, my current iMac is a fixed desk position. My current iMac is the last "fixed desk" computer I will ever own. My future home computers will be large screen laptops - just like my current PC/Win 17.3" laptop. As you can tell, I'd return the current fixed desk system and get 2 x different machines - where each machine is specialized within its own area.

3. iSayuSay, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Well .. I think I'm agree with you in this case. Bad thinking.

But really, hi-end iMac is really really tempting idea as a gaming PC, I mean it has 6970M (desktop 6850) in a slim nice sexy package. Not bad huh?
    Considering of other all-in-one and most laptop out there having a crappy GPU, and if you want a laptop with 6970M like AlienWare, it also cost the same with only 15" display, means you have to buy another expensive huge screen. So yeah ... hi-end iMac 27" was a really great choice for me:

1. It's a Mac .. check
    2. I can install Windows and Ubuntu .. check
    3. I can play latest games in mostly high settings/resolution .. check
    4. It has the top grade display resolution ... check
    5. It has heat problems affecting the display .. uuuhh .. ohh .. but yes, check

Agreed, most things would be optimal if done by the specific device to do it. But it would be hypocrite to blindly accept it, because I also happens to have an iPhone for the very same reason. Have an all around device in my pocket which do many things: iPod, phone, gps, occasional gaming machine, browser, calculator. And ironically it does it very well. Problem free!!

But no no .. iMac is not "all-in-one" as you think. Well yes, the machine is fine and works perfectly so far, but the slim sexy container feels the machine too hot to handle. :D

4. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

aslam786

If you need portability, then get a "portable". If you need a fixed position with i7 processor, then get a top of the line iMac. If you need both, then get a portable MacBook Pro (biggest CPU one can get), then get 24" external monitor with external USB keyboard / mouse. When you want portability, simply unplug the monitor and unplug the USB hub, and carry your laptop away. If you need a large monitor for fine graphics or a dedicate desk position, then simply plug the laptop in, and use it. If wondering, my business laptop is like that. Its a laptop with connected monitor and connected USB hub - that contains keyboard, mouse, printer and external HDD (for data file backups at lunch hour). Thus, best of both worlds. And best of all, portability. Like using my laptop on my back deck, while watching my kids splash and play in the pool. Next time around, I'm getting another personal laptop as well… We already have 2 laptops and their portability is amazing….. Especially for typical home user file/print/email/surfing/streaming tasks… As stated in my above post, I should have bought a laptop - instead of my current iMac. Lesson learned the hard way….

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Bad for 27" screen, yes. Very bad. Needs more than 6870 for it to be "gaming" anything. I've said it before, iMac would be perfect for mainstream gaming if they offered an i5 3.1GH+, 21" screen and the 6970m option.