iMac 2012 21.5" Dilemma

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Escritor, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Escritor macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I need an honest opinion about the base model of the new iMac (late 2012)

I spent almost an hour figuring out which model should I get but honestly I really don't know how huge is the difference between the 21.5" 2.7GHZ vs. 21.5 2.9GHZ.

I will be using it for the followin:

High Usage:

Web Browsing (facebook, twitter, google+, email, etc.)
    Video Streaming
    Basic Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook)
    Movie and Music Downloads
    Adobe Photoshop
    Adobe Lightroom
    iPhoto
    iCloud

Medium Usage:

Final Cut Pro

Low Usage:

Games like DOTA 2 (hopefully it will be available in our platform soon)
    Diablo 3
    Torchlight 2 (I hope they release the version for our platform soon)

(I only play when I have free time, but due to the nature of my work that is very rare)

Given my level of usage above, do you think the base model is more than enough? and do you think given the technical specifications of the base mode,l it will cater to my needs for 2-3 years?

Thank you very much

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Final Cut Pro? Get the faster processor and as much RAM as the machine can take.

3. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Just make sure you get the MOST RAM you can get on that thing and the fusion drive for sure (5400 rpm = fail). You may come to regret not doing so (Better yet, get the 27" for a few hundred more)

4. blanka macrumors 68000

Do you know the mid-mini is almost twice as fast as both options for 799$? With a nice sRGB IPS 24 inch 1920x1200 monitor that totals 1250$ 27 inch is not goint to help unless you go for the expensive i7 BTO option.
    With either choice you need to do something about the hard drive. On the iMac the only option is an expensive BTO fix, with the Mini you can mount a second 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD for rougly 250$ including the tools +cable kit yourself.

5. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

I would spring for the 16GB ram. The i7? Probably. SSD vs Fusion? That I am waiting for the benchmarks to be released to know. Cause platter density of the 5400 will be a factor.

6. Dan! macrumors member

It has the HD 4000 graphics though, wouldn't that make it much worse for playing games than the 640M?

7. Escritor thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I really appreciate all the replies but none of you are really answering my concern.

1. Due to budget constraint, I can only afford either of the two, it only means

27" is not an option
    upgrading RAM and even the HDD is not an option
    any upgrade for that matter is not an option

The reason why 21.5" 2.9GHz is not my initial choice is the fact that I have no plans on upgrading the unit. Plus the only reason why I consider it is because it has a higher Video Card and GHZ compared to the base model. But I am hoping that based on the usage given above I would still be able to enjoy my PRIMARY use for the unit.

Thank you very much

8. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

Have you ruled out a 2011 21.5" iMac, or even a 2011 27" for the money compared to a new 21.5"? As someone said, the 2011 entry has a 7200rpm drive whereas the 2012 a 5400rpm. The new ones do have a CPU/GPU bump and the new screen, usb3, but the HD may decide between those possibly.

I just bough a 2011 baseline iMac new in box myself.

9. Escritor thread starter macrumors newbie