iMac 2012, 21.5"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by OlegPasko, Oct 26, 2012.

1. OlegPasko macrumors newbie

Let's talk about this model. A lot of people decided to buy 27" model, but...
    I'm web-developer and it's more useful for me to get 21.5" and additional monitor (24", I think — one for IDE, another for photoshop or for browser). Maybe I'll buy top 21.5" model, but still some questions:

First of all... not user-accessible RAM slots, — is it means soldered RAM :eek: or just need to take off screeen to get access to RAM... the same as HDD (for replacing it)... How hard to do this in comparison to previous imac-line?
    1) What's your opinion? :rolleyes:
    2) Why 21.5", not 27" for you?

2. VassilyTheSkin macrumors newbie

1. yes it's soldered RAM but shipping with 8GB with an option to upgrade to 16GB when ordering. 8GB is enough for my needs
    2. I just don't need a 27"

The only other option i'm considering is the Fusion drive so I may buy the 21.5 high end version

3. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Conventional welding wouldn't work, so the company switched to a process known as "friction-stir welding," which it says "uses a combination of intense friction-generated heat and pressure to intermix the molecules of the two aluminum surfaces — creating a seamless, precise, and super strong join."

The case isn't just hard to crack, it's not designed for end users to open at all. The smaller 21.5 inch version even lacks a user accessible cover to access RAM, which the 27 inch model retains. Both can, however, be upgraded if the entire case is opened up. source Appleinsider

4. SLO-Jure macrumors newbie

I registered to this site because I wanted to ask the same thing as you did.

I know changing HDD and RAM wont be straight forward job, but there has to be the way to open Imac, for service reasons nevertheless.

My plan is to order bas 21,5 model and upgrade HDD and RAM in few years time.

Your thoughts??

5. hideous cheese macrumors regular

There is no confirmation yet that the ram is soldered. It is just not "user replaceable" which seems to mean you can't access the slots without opening the whole machine.