iMac 2012 -Fan noise?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by oström, Dec 1, 2012.

1. oström macrumors newbie

Hi, one thing I've always liked about the iMacs is that they've been the only mac that doesn't make that much noise under full load like the mac mini/and the MacBooks. But I've heard some complaints that the iMac 2012 is really loud under full load, I was about to click order... Anyone here with a 2012 iMac that can confirm or not confirm this?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Click - order

It has a fan - fans make noise - return if you cant handle it.

3. NJelect macrumors member

Visit an Apple store where you reside (if possible) ask the rep to load the most intense 3D shooter, move all the softkeys of the game (graphical display) to the max - including the resolution.

Play the game for around 10-15 minutes and listen to the sound (feel around the case) for heat also.
    In the event the above will perform within your noise level you should be satisfied.

Should the rep state he/she does not have any of the latest 3D shooters for test - take a walk... :mad:

4. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

5. jediDev macrumors regular

Hasn't kicked in for me yet but I've done nothing more than about 20 percent sustained utilization. At low speed it's nearly silent. Quieter than previous generation. I thinks the only noise I hear is the hd spinning but as a laptop drive it is very quiet.

6. applemike68 macrumors regular

I have the new iMac and it is much quieter than my 2010 model. I have no played any games but as for now no fan noise at all.

7. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Also, how is the i5 vs i7 temperature differences. Hyperthreading does add more temperature, but most thread I read about this are written by overclockers. I wonder how much difference there is at stock speeds..

8. Scrapula macrumors 6502

My Mac Mini is totally silent. I haven't heard anything about the brand new iMacs. I haven't even seen one in person, yet.