iMac 2012 freezes...

dilgit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
My imac 2012 freezes after booting. It completes startup. I can see all apps, cursor is moving, but nothing else. Also, I have Mountain Lion 10.8.3 on an external usb 3 drive and when I boot from that HD, the system freezes all the same.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Home is everywhere and nowhere.
Does it freeze after holding the Shift key instantly after login?
This prevents login items from loading.

Does it freeze after holding the Shift key instantly after pressing the power button? (Hold until Apple logo is visible)
This way it will startup in safe boot.

dilgit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
Does it freeze after holding the Shift key instantly after login?
This prevents login items from loading.

Does it freeze after holding the Shift key instantly after pressing the power button? (Hold until Apple logo is visible)
This way it will startup in safe boot.
Safe mode did not help... Even when I boot from an external HD, the system freezes after boot, except for the mouse that floats around but clicks are not "obeyed".

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Safe mode did not help... Even when I boot from an external HD, the system freezes after boot, except for the mouse that floats around but clicks are not "obeyed".
Run Apple Hardware Test, see if you get any Errors, I think you will, actually I think you won't even be able to even startup from it, I suspect hardware issues.

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

Essentially, hold the D key at startup.

Does Recovery HD work, hold Command-R at startup, then choose Disk Utilities from Menu, repair Disk, again, I think your problem is HW since it does the same from external source.

dilgit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
For some time everything was suddenly fine once again but now it's freezing once again. What happens is that when I boot up OK , the same in safe mode or with an external HD. The computer boots but than, when all seems fine, it freezes, the mouse cursor moves but I can not operate a single move. What else can I do/check?

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
For some time everything was suddenly fine once again but now it's freezing once again. What happens is that when I boot up OK , the same in safe mode or with an external HD. The computer boots but than, when all seems fine, it freezes, the mouse cursor moves but I can not operate a single move. What else can I do/check?
Did you run Apple Hardware Test as suggested?

Memorial1

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
question about this Hardware test

Did you run Apple Hardware Test as suggested?
I also read your suggestion about doing this test. if I turn my iMAC off and then turn it on and hold the D key, do I keep holding the D key and keep holding the power button in?

Memorial1

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
It was in my last post, press and hold are different aren't they, but FYI, release the power button.
well despite following your very specific instructions, I don't get to the Hardware Test. I do have an Intel base iMac 10.6.8.

got any other suggestions?

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I had this EXACT problem. Your hard drive is definitely dying. Whenever I would start my mac from an external drive (the hard drive had the clicking noise of doom and stopped working some time before) the mouse would move around but wouldn't click and the keyboard wouldn't respond, but after waiting for a couple of minutes it would suddenly do all of the clicking and typing that I did before. If it is like that for you, once it unfreezes, back up your stuff, bring the mac to an apple store under applecare and get the hard drive replaced free of charge.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA