iMac 2012 - getting used to screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bunger, Jan 8, 2013.

1. bunger macrumors 6502

My super sweet 27" iMac arrived yesterday and it is replacing my mid-2007 24" iMac. I have it setup and rolling, but have noticed the display is significantly different from the previous model. Specifically, the whites appear to be very bright and harsh ( almost florescent in nature ). I have tried to bring down brightness and run calibration and can't seem to make it less "harsh."

Has anyone else experienced this?

tia,
    Bill

2. torana355 macrumors 68020

I have a 2008 24" iMac and the new 27" iMac, the screen on the new one is just as good, its actually better as it has far less glare. I run it at just over 50% brightness and it looks great. Turning down the brightness will kill any of the harshness you may have.

3. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you calibrate it at all, or just crank down the brightness?

4. Lambros macrumors regular

I didn't calibrate myself. I see what you mean, it is a little blinding, especially on a page with majority white. I personally just turn down the brightness if it becomes an issue.

5. torana355 macrumors 68020

I run it at around 50% brightness and don't have any issues with harshness. Just because it can go to 100% brightness does not mean you should have it that high.

6. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

f.lux helps with "harshness". I use it on my MacBook Pro and my MacBook Air. F.lux might look a bit weird at first, but used with care it makes a huge difference for me.

7. leerichards1 macrumors regular

Never heard of this software, thanks for the tip. Will check it out.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Just calibrate it to be a bit warmer :)

9. Cidtek macrumors newbie

Is there any possibility you may be forming cataracts in your eyes? Bright white screens are hard to look at when this happens.