iMac 2012 GPU Hint ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Malone1878, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Malone1878 macrumors member

Valve to Expand Steam Store Beyond Games on September 5...

This article says their going to expand their store, possibly to accommodate for an upcoming iMac with an enhanced GPU like we have been talking about ?

Food for thought.

2. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

I agree that the newer model iMac will have enhanced specs.

3. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

4. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

5. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I'm not sure what train of thought you're following here. The Valve announcement is basically that Steam is expanding beyond games, so you can get (for example, although no titles have been announced) Microsoft Office from there.

6. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

agreed whats the correlation between those two things? does the article specifically says "to accommodate for the new 2012 upcoming imac"?

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Definitely not.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/8584/

8. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

I'm not quite following your connection here, either. Kinda reminds me of the old joke:

Q: How many surrealists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    A: Three. One to paint the room purple and the other to fill the bathtub up will jell-o.

9. Malone1878 thread starter macrumors member

It was more clutching straws, I was thinking that if Steam were making more games available to Mac consumers it could be something to think about as their has been a lot of talk about better (gaming) GPU's in the next iMac.

10. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

But the story doesn't say anything about "making more games available to Mac".
    The article is about expanding the Steam market "beyond games". In other words, Steam wants to offer non-game apps. This would have nothing to do with the GPU on an iMac.

11. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

exactly! im sorry to say but that valve article doesnt have anything to do with the new imac. We do speculate that the imac will have nvida graphics card thats all.

12. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

I'm more interested in seeing how this will disrupt the Mac App Store. More and more developers are pulling out and I think it hasn't been the runaway success that Apple hoped it would be as it was on iOS. If Steam can innovate in ways Apple hasn't in discovery and allow any virtually any app (some review is necessary to thwart harmful software) on the store, it could be huge.