Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paul Christian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Netherlands, Groningen
Hi All,

I got my iMac (late 2012, 27" base model + fusion drive 1tb) 4 weeks ago after 2 months of waiting for it.

Today the sun finally came through the clouds a bit and when I opened the blinds to let the light in I caught two imperfections on my iMac I hand't noticed before. Now that I do, they drive me nuts, but, I wanted an honest and non-OCD (which I admit is a part of this problem) opinion from a few objective intelligent people.

So, thats what I'm asking for. I included two pictures of the marks (a bump, and some kind in indentation I think), and I wanted some outside perspective on it. Keep in mind, they are small, were talking millimeters here, but they are visible, especially when the room is very lit.

Without markings: http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/149/imacscuff1.jpg
With markings: http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7736/imacscuff2.jpg

I have to admit, I'm really sad about these imperfections, but I also have enough selfknowledge to know I'm not your average guy. I'm a perfectionist (which is why I turn to Apple in the 1st place), but other then that, I expected a €2200,- computer to be flawless. (This is a ********* of money for a computer these days if you ask me).

Here's the problem, besides these imperfections, the iMac is brilliant. Perfect even. Best screen I've seen (even my Air 2012 looks bad next to this one), and I'm looking for reasons not to return it. I know this sounds weird, but I'm already that attached to it. The point then becomes one of principle. And the fact that one day (a few years from now) I want to sell this iMac and I'll have to mention these marks which might drive the price down.

So, essentially I'm looking for your opinion. This could be a life lesson for me, I could take it that way, which says: 'empbrace imperfection'. Life would be a lot easier :p, but thats the hardest thing to overcome for someone like me.

Or, should I expect Apple products to be flawless and return it as a matter of principle?

I'm leaning towards; take this as a lesson, but lets face it... thats is one expensive lesson then isn't it?

Last edited:

jmthigpen

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Charleston, SC
Hi All,

I got my iMac (late 2012, 27" base model + fusion drive 1tb) 4 weeks ago after 2 months of waiting for it.

Today the sun finally came through the clouds a bit and when I opened the blinds to let the light in I caught two imperfections on my iMac I hand't noticed before. Now that I do, they drive me nuts, but, I wanted an honest and non-OCD (which I admit is a part of this problem) opinion from a few objective intelligent people.

So, thats what I'm asking for. I included two pictures of the marks (a bump, and some kind in indentation I think), and I wanted some outside perspective on it. Keep in mind, they are small, were talking millimeters here, but they are visible, especially when the room is very lit.

Without markings: http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/149/imacscuff1.jpg
With markings: http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7736/imacscuff2.jpg

I have to admit, I'm really sad about these imperfections, but I also have enough selfknowledge to know I'm not your average guy. I'm a perfectionist (which is why I turn to Apple in the 1st place), but other then that, I expected a €2200,- computer to be flawless. (This is a ********* of money for a computer these days if you ask me).

Here's the problem, besides these imperfections, the iMac is brilliant. Perfect even. Best screen I've seen (even my Air 2012 looks bad next to this one), and I'm looking for reasons not to return it. I know this sounds weird, but I'm already that attached to it. The point then becomes one of principle. And the fact that one day (a few years from now) I want to sell this iMac and I'll have to mention these marks which might drive the price down.

So, essentially I'm looking for your opinion. This could be a life lesson for me, I could take it that way, which says: 'empbrace imperfection'. Life would be a lot easier :p, but thats the hardest thing to overcome for someone like me.

Or, should I expect Apple products to be flawless and return it as a matter of principle?

I'm leaning towards; take this as a lesson, but lets face it... thats is one expensive lesson then isn't it?

I don't know man, if it were me I might swing it by the Apple Store to see what they say, but it's just barely noticeable even when looking for it. If the iMac is otherwise perfect it might be best to just forget about it and use the machine.

Trinite

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
I have to agree with the above: admittedly, it's hard to tell from a picture, so only you know for sure, but those seem really minimal flaws to me. Given the number of people who have reported problems with IR, etc., if your iMac is otherwise perfect, it might be wisest to keep it.... Just my two cents....

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I don't know if there's an answer that will make you happy with this situation but for what it's worth you're not alone in that it will annoy you - I'd most likely be the same. As jmthigpen mentioned, it might be worth dropping in an Apple Store and seeing what they say. I don't have an Apple Store here in Berlin so last year I drove a few hours to Hamburg and bought an iPhone 5 that I'd pre-ordered. I opened it at a friend's house and saw scratches on the side. I went back to the store the day after, hours before heading home, and complained. I ended up opening a total of 5 iPhone 5 boxes (brand new sealed, not refurbs) - not one of them looked brand new due to little scratches and scuffs. I ended up having to take the best of the bad bunch. It's a lot of money and I had to settle for something that wasn't perfect out of the box. I soon, however, forgot about the little scratch and continued to enjoy having such a great phone. It might be worth doing that with your iMac. Either way, enjoy it - I'm still waiting for mine! ;)

Paul Christian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Netherlands, Groningen
Thanks for your replies guys. It's a tough one indeed. Point is of course, that if I would return it, there's absolutely no guarantee that the next one will be flawless... seeing how many people these 'scuff/bump' issues affected. So I'm affraid of going in that direction for that reason alone... if could be a never ending cycle... Also, to take it to the Apple store isn't something I really have as an option, its a 30 minute drive, but something tells me the iMac has more chance of getting scuffen on the way there, then it is now..

Maybe I'll have to just Let it Be..., but... this IS an issue Apple needs to adress. Quality Control should be their top priority if you ask me... I see people with scuffed iPhones, iPads and now even 2000+ dollar iMacs aren't safe... this is quite an issue to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I honestly don't see anything in those pics...I tend to be the same way about electronics and cars so I understand...but you gotta let it go. It will actually be therapeutic and a great opportunity for personal growth for you to just look past life's inevitable imperfections and enjoy the fact that you are lucky enough to have a computer 98% of the people in this world cant afford to buy...

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Are you people for real? Do you actually use the thing or just sit and stare at it looking for something to whine about. :mad:
This is one the most ridiculous complaints I have ever seen. Next time that sun breaks though the clouds, go outside and soak some up.

Paul Christian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Netherlands, Groningen
I honestly don't see anything in those pics...I tend to be the same way about electronics and cars so I understand...but you gotta let it go. It will actually be therapeutic and a great opportunity for personal growth for you to just look past life's inevitable imperfections and enjoy the fact that you are lucky enough to have a computer 98% of the people in this world cant afford to buy...

Thats a great point man, thanks for that insight.
I was just gonna say, imagine the person you'd like to hold accountable for it, and then saying it to his/her face. I'd have no problem being very direct to millionaire Apple exec about this issue, but if I noticed these marks and had to speak to the person who actually assembled my Mac (a hard working, low paid person from China) I'd stay silent for sure. I'd feel like a spoiled *@*@* :), its all about perspective. I'll just keep my iMac anyway.

Paul Christian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Netherlands, Groningen
Are you people for real? Do you actually use the thing or just sit and stare at it looking for something to whine about. :mad:
This is one the most ridiculous complaints I have ever seen. Next time that sun breaks though the clouds, go outside and soak some up.

I use it... 12 hours a day at this point (while soaking up some sun in between :cool:). And I'm not looking for something to 'whine' about when it took me 4 weeks to notice it... But just as much as you don't get my point (which I accept) I don't uderstand your point, of just 'accepting a brand new 2200,- + designer brand computer having a dent in it..
No matter how small.

And keep in mind, its Apple's own marketing that sets expectations soo high... When you talk about being the best, and 'fusing molecules together' to make something seamless, and then it isn't seamless, you'd have to be a true fanboy to not call them out on that.

Last edited:

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I use it... 12 hours a day at this point (while soaking up some sun in between :cool:). And I'm not looking for something to 'whine' about when it took me 4 weeks to notice it... But just as much as you don't get my point (which I accept) I don't uderstand your point, of just 'accepting a brand new 2200,- + designer brand computer having a dent in it..
No matter how small.

And keep in mind, its Apple's own marketing that sets expectations soo high... When you talk about being the best, and 'fusing molecules together' to make something seamless, and then it isn't seamless, you'd have to be a true fanboy to not call them out on that.

Sorry but, all I can do is laugh.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Very hard to notice even in the marked pictures and backed up by that you didn't notice it yourself for 4 weeks. Since you didn't notice it for 4 weeks, who is the say it didn't happen after the purchase anyway. Even if Apple was to replace it, to me it wouldn't be worth the time to me to swap it out and then the risk of getting something else that is even more imperfect.

I'll take a couple of minor nicks on a system, gives it character anyway, than a yellow tinged screen, or loud fan or HD etc.

Paul Christian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Netherlands, Groningen
Very hard to notice even in the marked pictures and backed up by that you didn't notice it yourself for 4 weeks. Since you didn't notice it for 4 weeks, who is the say it didn't happen after the purchase anyway. Even if Apple was to replace it, to me it wouldn't be worth the time to me to swap it out and then the risk of getting something else that is even more imperfect.

I'll take a couple of minor nicks on a system, gives it character anyway, than a yellow tinged screen, or loud fan or HD etc.

I didn't happen after, I promose you. But, you're right. It's not worth all the hassle that follows if I would visist the Apple store. I'll keep it as is, especially with the screen being this brilliant.

azurehi

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2009
Bluesky

Apple quality Has Slipped. Perfection Should be expected at the prices they charge.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
I disagree, the time it would take to find what the OP is talking about on assembly lines, looking meticulously over every iMac, would greatly increase cost per unit.
^ I totally agree!
Absolutely nothing in this world is perfect!
I had to return 2 iMacs for faulty screens (yellowing and very bad backlight bleed). My third one which I have had for 2 months now is far from perfect. The screen is good although not perfect (slight bleed at bottom). And I found a couple of small scuffs on the back. But as the back is facing a wall I'm not at all bothered as I will never see them.
Also the nick you are talking about in the 1st picture. Are you sure it isn't glue? I have a similar thing just above the apple logo. And found that while cleaning it it is just a tiny bit of surplus glue when the screen was attached, but I can live with it!
The 2nd picture. I am really struggling to see how that can bother you (well either for that matter)
If you bought a rolls Royce or Aston Martin you would find imperfections. Especially in direct sunlight.
Also have you ever dinged your car or discovered a stone chip? It bothers you for a while but then you just learn to live with it.
Just get on and enjoy your new imac with its perfect screen!

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
If you're not happy with the quality of the unit, return it. I have no problem with that. Besides, this kind of thing keeps the refurb store well stocked.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Apple quality Has Slipped. Perfection Should be expected at the prices they charge.

Nothing is perfect - hell a Rolls Royce isn't perfect so why should an item of mass production consumer electronics be any different? A classic case of Caveat Emptor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.