iMac 2012 v New Samsung

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ibirmingham, Oct 27, 2012.

1. ibirmingham macrumors member

Samsung have just released their new Windows 8 all-in-one:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-series-7-dp700a7d-27-touchscreen-all-in-one-pc-17392882-pdt.html

The Samsung is powered by an i7 3770, and has a HD 7850m graphics card. The Samsung also has touchscreen, (if you like that kind of thing), a
    Bluray player and a tv tuner.

All the above is as standard.

My genuine question is that I want a new all in one, attractive enough that I can put it on the living room but powerful enough to some heavy video editing etc on it.

I was leaning towards an iMac, but then came across the above Samsung, which all in one would you get and why?

No trolls please!

2. MacMiguel macrumors regular

The problem of PC's is Windows, i've no tried windows8 yet but Mac OS is much better that windos for many tasks... so that's depends on the use that you're gonna have...

I've heard people complaining about the multitasking and second plane tasks mannagement on windows8 and the absence of start menu bar.

I recomend you to use and try both computers before decide.

3. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

Here are the reasons I would not purchase the samsung:

1. It runs Windows. I prefer OS X in my opinion it works better and needs less care and feeding

2. The samsung looks like its made of plastic, I could be wrong. For the price they are asking it looks cheap from the photo. Once again I could be totally wrong on this without seeing it in person.

3. Support. I don't know what kind of support Samsung offers, but with my iMac if I ever have problems I have a local Apple store I can get help with. Before I switched my mom to a Mac she had a Dell and she got horrible support. Maybe Samsung is different, but its probably still phone support.

The Samsung seems like a nice machine for the Windows platform, just not for me. The price seems high for what most people pay for Windows machines. The touch is probably nice but unlike a tablet or phone I think its a novelty that I would stop using and stick with the keyboard and mouse.

4. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

If you really want built in blu-ray, and touchscreen features on a desktop. Then get the Samsung.

If you want a more powerful system, with a far, FAR better screen, then get the new 27inch iMac.

5. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

6. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

After a little more research it seems like the samsung is just sold its one configuration and retail. There are no ways to get built to order version.

The specs say the memory only allows a max of 8gb. If you are going to have the machine for a long time then this could be an issue down the road.

Another interesting tidbit is that I can't find any reviews for this machine which I find odd. Maybe since its a new machine but I would though gadget sites like engadget would hava review.

7. ibirmingham thread starter macrumors member

Not being able to upgrade the RAM would be a big problem. I could not find any reviews on it either but understand it was only released yesterday.

8. scruby macrumors member

9. ibirmingham thread starter macrumors member

But is the iMac more powerful? Genuine question.

10. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

If you get the model with the 675MX video card... Absolutely.

11. boto macrumors 6502

boto

The 2011 27" iMac top model has a better GPU than the Samsung's, AMD 6970m > 7850m. I personally prefer the iMac in every way. The internal and external beauty of the 2012 27" iMac is no match against any other all-in-one computer available in the market and I highly doubt any company will be able to match it. Also, the highest resolution available between these machines is a deal breaker for me, however the only thing I don't like is the December release period.

12. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

13. 50548 Guest

An iMac vs. Samsung crap? Not in a million years - get the iMac, please...with the a good amount of RAM and the better GPU you'll have nothing to complain about. The iMac is more powerful than almost any other PC Winblows out there, including most desktops.

14. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

The iMac is FAR from a powerful machine.

Most windows PC's in the same price range blow away the iMac.

15. karpich1 macrumors regular

True, but when it comes to All In Ones... the iMac is still leader of the pack.

Dell + Vizio + Asus offer, at most, 640M cards.

HP's 27" all-in-one only offers Workstation cards (Cuda 4000's and such).

Apple's high-end iMac is better than all of the other (BIG NAME) all in ones out there.

16. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

In the case of the Dell + other OEMs, those are all offered at a cheaper price.

The HP is a workstation, so its supposed to have workstation cards.

I love my 2011 iMac, but I don't understand why people would buy one over a PC tower+ monitor combo if they are on a budget.

17. ibirmingham thread starter macrumors member

True, but if you want OSX then your choices are limited to an imac at this moment in time

18. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

OSX used to be great, now its terrible. Windows 7/8 are so far and above OSX right now,

I downgraded my iMac to 10.6 recently, the last good OSX. 10.7 and 10.8 are garbage.

19. TopB macrumors member

The Samsung has a slower CPU 2.5 vs 3.4 for the New iMac and the
    HDD is 5400 vs 7200 for the new 27 inch iMac. Plus what everyone else here has stated, it is Windows, slower GPU etc.

20. CoreyLahey macrumors regular

The iMac will be my first Mac ever, and I wasn't able to find anything in the AIO section that would provide the same value, based on hardware alone. Like others stated, GPU and CPU and of course display in the iMac are often worlds better in comparison to other machines.

21. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I'll have to agree. Lion and ML have been a disappointment to me. Windows 7 is a great OS. I am not terribly keen on 8, however.

I think that's a typo. The 3770K is a 3.5GHz processor.

That Samsung looks poor value. Even the base 27" iMac is much better. If, however, you are not shopping for an AIO, you can configure a tower PC to match your exact needs that will be cheaper than an iMac of comparable spec. You can also get Windows 7 that way. ;)

22. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

The Samsung looks like it belongs at a Radio Shack display counter.

It's just plain ugly.

23. drambuie macrumors 6502a

The Canadian version is $100 more, but it has a Samsung 2560 x 1440 IPS LCD.

24. Stetrain, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

Stetrain macrumors 68040

And do they include a 27" 2560x1440 display for that price? A display that Dell offers standalone for $800?