Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibirmingham

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Samsung have just released their new Windows 8 all-in-one:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-series-7-dp700a7d-27-touchscreen-all-in-one-pc-17392882-pdt.html

The Samsung is powered by an i7 3770, and has a HD 7850m graphics card. The Samsung also has touchscreen, (if you like that kind of thing), a
Bluray player and a tv tuner.

All the above is as standard.

My genuine question is that I want a new all in one, attractive enough that I can put it on the living room but powerful enough to some heavy video editing etc on it.

I was leaning towards an iMac, but then came across the above Samsung, which all in one would you get and why?

No trolls please!

MacMiguel

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2012

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsun...7-touchscreen-all-in-one-pc-17392882-pdt.html

The Samsung is powered by an i7 3770, and has a HD 7850m graphics card. The Samsung also has touchscreen, (if you like that kind of thing), a

My genuine question is that I want a new all in one, attractive enough that I can put it on the living room but powerful enough to some heavy video editing etc on it.

I was leaning towards an iMac, but then came across the above Samsung, which all in one would you get and why?

No trolls please!

The problem of PC's is Windows, i've no tried windows8 yet but Mac OS is much better that windos for many tasks... so that's depends on the use that you're gonna have...

I've heard people complaining about the multitasking and second plane tasks mannagement on windows8 and the absence of start menu bar.

I recomend you to use and try both computers before decide.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Here are the reasons I would not purchase the samsung:

1. It runs Windows. I prefer OS X in my opinion it works better and needs less care and feeding

2. The samsung looks like its made of plastic, I could be wrong. For the price they are asking it looks cheap from the photo. Once again I could be totally wrong on this without seeing it in person.

3. Support. I don't know what kind of support Samsung offers, but with my iMac if I ever have problems I have a local Apple store I can get help with. Before I switched my mom to a Mac she had a Dell and she got horrible support. Maybe Samsung is different, but its probably still phone support.

The Samsung seems like a nice machine for the Windows platform, just not for me. The price seems high for what most people pay for Windows machines. The touch is probably nice but unlike a tablet or phone I think its a novelty that I would stop using and stick with the keyboard and mouse.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsun...7-touchscreen-all-in-one-pc-17392882-pdt.html

No trolls please!

If you really want built in blu-ray, and touchscreen features on a desktop. Then get the Samsung.

If you want a more powerful system, with a far, FAR better screen, then get the new 27inch iMac.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
After a little more research it seems like the samsung is just sold its one configuration and retail. There are no ways to get built to order version.

The specs say the memory only allows a max of 8gb. If you are going to have the machine for a long time then this could be an issue down the road.

Another interesting tidbit is that I can't find any reviews for this machine which I find odd. Maybe since its a new machine but I would though gadget sites like engadget would hava review.

ibirmingham

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
After a little more research it seems like the samsung is just sold its one configuration and retail. There are no ways to get built to order version.

The specs say the memory only allows a max of 8gb. If you are going to have the machine for a long time then this could be an issue down the road.

Another interesting tidbit is that I can't find any reviews for this machine which I find odd. Maybe since its a new machine but I would though gadget sites like engadget would hava review.

Not being able to upgrade the RAM would be a big problem. I could not find any reviews on it either but understand it was only released yesterday.

ibirmingham

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
If you really want built in blu-ray, and touchscreen features on a desktop. Then get the Samsung.

If you want a more powerful system, with a far, FAR better screen, then get the new 27inch iMac.

But is the iMac more powerful? Genuine question.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
The 2011 27" iMac top model has a better GPU than the Samsung's, AMD 6970m > 7850m. I personally prefer the iMac in every way. The internal and external beauty of the 2012 27" iMac is no match against any other all-in-one computer available in the market and I highly doubt any company will be able to match it. Also, the highest resolution available between these machines is a deal breaker for me, however the only thing I don't like is the December release period.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
An iMac vs. Samsung crap? Not in a million years - get the iMac, please...with the a good amount of RAM and the better GPU you'll have nothing to complain about. The iMac is more powerful than almost any other PC Winblows out there, including most desktops.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
An iMac vs. Samsung crap? Not in a million years - get the iMac, please...with the a good amount of RAM and the better GPU you'll have nothing to complain about. The iMac is more powerful than almost any other PC Winblows out there, including most desktops.

The iMac is FAR from a powerful machine.

Most windows PC's in the same price range blow away the iMac.

karpich1

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007

True, but when it comes to All In Ones... the iMac is still leader of the pack.

Dell + Vizio + Asus offer, at most, 640M cards.

HP's 27" all-in-one only offers Workstation cards (Cuda 4000's and such).

Apple's high-end iMac is better than all of the other (BIG NAME) all in ones out there.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
True, but when it comes to All In Ones... the iMac is still leader of the pack.

Dell + Vizio + Asus offer, at most, 640M cards.

HP's 27" all-in-one only offers Workstation cards (Cuda 4000's and such).

Apple's high-end iMac is better than all of the other (BIG NAME) all in ones out there.

In the case of the Dell + other OEMs, those are all offered at a cheaper price.

The HP is a workstation, so its supposed to have workstation cards.

I love my 2011 iMac, but I don't understand why people would buy one over a PC tower+ monitor combo if they are on a budget.

ibirmingham

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I love my 2011 iMac, but I don't understand why people would buy one over a PC tower+ monitor combo if they are on a budget.

True, but if you want OSX then your choices are limited to an imac at this moment in time

TopB

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2012
The Samsung has a slower CPU 2.5 vs 3.4 for the New iMac and the
HDD is 5400 vs 7200 for the new 27 inch iMac. Plus what everyone else here has stated, it is Windows, slower GPU etc.

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
The iMac will be my first Mac ever, and I wasn't able to find anything in the AIO section that would provide the same value, based on hardware alone. Like others stated, GPU and CPU and of course display in the iMac are often worlds better in comparison to other machines.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
OSX used to be great, now its terrible. Windows 7/8 are so far and above OSX right now,

I downgraded my iMac to 10.6 recently, the last good OSX. 10.7 and 10.8 are garbage.

I'll have to agree. Lion and ML have been a disappointment to me. Windows 7 is a great OS. I am not terribly keen on 8, however.

The Samsung has a slower CPU 2.5 vs 3.4 for the New iMac and the
HDD is 5400 vs 7200 for the new 27 inch iMac. Plus what everyone else here has stated, it is Windows, slower GPU etc.

I think that's a typo. The 3770K is a 3.5GHz processor.

That Samsung looks poor value. Even the base 27" iMac is much better. If, however, you are not shopping for an AIO, you can configure a tower PC to match your exact needs that will be cheaper than an iMac of comparable spec. You can also get Windows 7 that way. ;)

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009

And do they include a 27" 2560x1440 display for that price? A display that Dell offers standalone for $800?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.