iMac (2012) wont boot into OS

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Gabriel74, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Gabriel74 macrumors newbie

Hello,

My Imac is just over a year old when today as I booted it up, I got a grey loading bar under the apple logo then it turns off, when i boot into restore I verify the Macintosh hdd (which is greyed out and wont let me mount it) It says it has errors and needs repairing, however repair fails so I can not mount/erase or restore, I can boot into windows using bootcamp just fine and I can see my Mac drive from there, am I doing or not doing something really simple or is my hdd dying?

Thank you

2. macthefork macrumors 6502

Sounds like dying drive. From bootcamp try and save as much data as possible from your Mac partition. You could try Disk Warrior, or Tech Tools Pro, to mount the disk, but from your brief description, it sounds like a failing HDD that will need replacement.

For a one year old iMac, have you contacted Apple? Even it it's over the one year, and you don't have Applecare, I'd call them anyway and see what they say. A HDD should last longer than that, but some will fail early.

3. Gabriel74 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have managed to get all my work/photos off the mac drive onto an external, seems to be fine under windows. If I buy Disc warrior is the download an image file to burn to a disc? Thank you

Not phones Apple yet, will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

4. macthefork macrumors 6502

I use Tech Tools Pro, and have only some experience with older versions of Disk Warrior. However, Disk Warrior is known to be an excellent utility that can assist with allowing your disk to mount in order to retrieve data--even on a failing drive.

If you're in the U.S. you may be able to find a Disk Warrior DVD locally using Alsofts's locator.

You should be able to burn a bootable DVD from the downloaded image. The store bought box comes with a bootable DVD.

The disk may appear fine under Windows, because that part of the disk isn't corrupt, yet. Same with the restore partition.