iMac 2012

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AppleDeviceUser, Jan 7, 2012.

1. AppleDeviceUser macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

When do you think the new iMac is coming out?
    Could it be as early as Jan. or Feb. 2012?
    Also what do you think will be added or changed compared to the iMac 2011? :apple:

2. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Its gonna be touch screen, retina display, 30 inches, bezel-less, twice the performance and lets not forget...even thinner :rolleyes:

Lol, I'm kidding. Nobody really know apart from Apple, I'm not exactly sure, but the new Ivy Bridge processors which are worth waiting for, won't be out until mid-2012 so even if they do release another revision early on, it probably won't be a huge change.

3. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

There are loads of threads on this already, but seen as I am excited about the next iMac, I shall participate.
    As above, no one knows, there has been many a healthy discussion on here about whats next for iMac, Apple TV, siri control, 30" screen, cross over with the dying Mac Pro, the list goes on.
    Personally, I like the 27" as the premium screen size I guess 30" would work too, but it would be getting close to the limit. I would also like a complete design change and some more user serviceable parts

4. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Indeed, plenty of threads already.

My guess is we'll see it in March/April.

5. bungiefan89 macrumors 6502a

This probably won't happen, but I'd like to see a redesigned case that's exactly like the current one except for one change: beveled edges.

I move my 27" iMac around a moderate amount, and the edge of this thing can really be a pain on your palms and fingers. Not the biggest deal in the world, but carrying this thing around usually means holding a VERY finely honed 90 degree angle of aluminum held down by 30 pounds of weight.

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

You forgot to add "Chin-less" in that list. :)

7. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I would suggest that you are hugely in the minority of people who regularly carry around their 27", 30.5 pound iMacs. Most people tend to get a laptop. ;)

I think that was implied by "bezel-less"

8. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Id like mine bottomless ;)

9. AppleDeviceUser thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

10. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I bet you're thankful for all this valuable information right? :rolleyes:

11. onthecouchagain, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

For what it's worth:

"On the desktop front, Intel told partners that its Ivy Bridge architecture will be delayed until the second quarter of 2012. Apple will likely refresh its desktop Mac lineup with 2012 Ivy Bridge chipset."

iMac 2012 might be coming later than we think.

Source: http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/10/ces-2...rtising-campaign-to-push-macbook-air-killers/

For those who are wondering what "Second Quarter" means...

* 1st Quarter: October 1, 2011 - December 31, 2011
    * 2nd Quarter: January 1, 2012 - March 31, 2012
    * 3rd Quarter: April 1, 2012 - June 30, 2012
    * 4th Quarter: July 1, 2012 - September 30, 2012

So I'm going to wager April, at the earliest before we see a 2012 iMac with the Ivy Bridge chipset. As for whether they'll redesign or not... hm!

12. Skippern macrumors newbie

... and the performance gain seems to be very small indeed.

13. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Depends on who's "2nd quarter" we're talking about. If it's calendar year, 2Q is April-June.

.. Speaking as someone who managed to buy a 2007 C2D iMac 37 days before the 2008 refreshes came out, you can be sure I'm waiting until after the refresh this time. But I do wish there was more solid information on specs, design changes, and timing...

14. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

So which one do these analysts go by, regarding Q2?

15. Kungshi macrumors member

I know ivy bridge is going to be a nice boost for power usage efficiency and such in the notebook lines, but are there any significant benefits for the Desktops? It just doesn't seem like this iMac refresh will be as significant as the last regarding the processor.

16. AppleDeviceUser thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

I just like to read other people's opinion on stuff like this, that's why i'm thankful! :)

17. macsoft3 macrumors newbie

hum.. just got me 27" the 3.4 i7, 16 gigs ram, 2 gigs GPU mem, 256 SSD+ 2TB HDD. Its a dream iMac! i couldn't be happyier with a computer! VERY responsive! open ALL apps simultaneuslly in a second! its a dream!
    This will do me fine for the next 6 years, as my last 24" white iMac did.
    How cares about the 2012

Ahh! and mine has kind of a touchscreen too! :p well. kind of. I used the wii remote hack to turn my screen into a smartboard. lots of fun!

iMac forever! :p

18. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I am hoping for any time now until april. I have the money available so would be nice to get it asap.
    I will not be buying if it isn't a redesign though.

19. macsoft3 macrumors newbie

I personally i still like the white 24" look better. the black bevel on the new imacs kind of ruins it a bit.

But you seriously would not buy an iMac just because they dont redisign it? That just sound crazy to me.. :S Do you really think the esthetics of the current iMac are that bad, that you prefer not having none, against having the current desing? :O

20. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I'm hoping for a redesign, not so much for aesthetics, but mainly hoping that they some how have come up with a better solution for the glass display to prevent dust from getting behind it. It can become a nightmare. Also, would be nice if it didn't overheat.

21. Skippern macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

There' a lot of talk on this board about iMacs overheating, but I wonder if this really is a problem for many people. None of the people I know mention this, and neither does any of the dozens of reviews I've read.

Am I wrong in thinking that this isn't really a big problem?

22. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

A lot of people touch the back and assume it's overheating without looking at the temperature gauges of what is going on in the machine. Then they post on forums like these in a panic.

Would you touch your car's engine to check if it's overheating or would you look at the temperature gauge?

23. ibitedeadskunks macrumors newbie

Good analogy! :) I'd say on a desktop computer up to 60°C on the CPU is acceptable, beyond 70-80 is probably an indication of something slightly suspicious. I have personally never had heating problems on my 24" iMac (C2D 2007).

Regarding the screen size, am I the only person who doesn't hope to see an increase to 30" on iMacs?? I have a 24", as mentioned earlier, and I am perfectly content with it. I have done some design work on a 27" iMac and I have to say I find it a bit too large to work with. Sure it's cool to watch a movie or football game on a larger screen, but it's a bit tiring to the eye and neck to work intensively in front of one of those. I'd personally welcome the option of getting a 24" option again, for instance 24" and 30" as options. Also glossy screen is pretty annoying sometimes.

It's pretty annoying that the "best" hardware is usually available only in the largest machines (desktop and laptop alike), but I guess they have to justify the price tag.

Otherwise I hope for a re-design as well, not because the current design is faulty in any way, but because the current design is getting old and I am hoping for some innovative changes. Oh and...

I couldn't agree more :)

24. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

60-65 under load is fine. 72 is around the maximum that the desktop CPUs in the 2011 iMac range will handle before shutting down (it varies slightly for the different chips). The problem is that by around 65 the CPU will start throttling itself to prevent catastrophic failure so keeping them cool is beneficial to users doing CPU based activities for extended periods of time.

25. Skippern macrumors newbie

Don't you have to take into account that the gauges only show what temperature immediately around the sensor, and not necessarily the temperature of the die/disk/whatever? And that the die/disk/whatever temperature might in fact be lower than the sensor's? And that Apple's engineers might have taken this into account?