imac 2013 8gb ram spinning rainbow

Discussion in 'iMac' started by auzzuro, May 16, 2015.

1. auzzuro macrumors regular

hi recently i just transfer some mp4 file from thumb drive to my imac and still browsing the internet .. but some how it appear spinning rainbow for about 2 sec and after a while later it will reappear again...my friends told me that is because of laggingbut all i did was transfer file and surf internet that all. may i know anyone can help me with that and why is it so?

2. cycledance Suspended

restart. if that doesn't help create a new user and log in there and see if the problem persists.

3. auzzuro thread starter macrumors regular

may i know why is it so .... this the first time i move to apple computer .... just doing two things at the same time n it lag ...

4. cynics macrumors G4

Which browser were you using when you were browsing the internet?

Safari has some occasional strange lag. It should be able to be fixed with an update. Quite a few users have experienced it on here.

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Does your iMac have an SSD?

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I don't think your Mac has an SSD, so lags are normal if you didn't go for the Fusion Drive or the SSD option.

7. auzzuro thread starter macrumors regular

my imac has no ssd ... but the problem is just doing two things at a time it lag ... i seriously cant believe that .... my old acer window computer nv show lag just by doing two things at a time....by the way i was using safari to browse

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Believe it.

My old early-2011 15" cMBP (quad core 2.3GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1GB Radeon 6750M) lagged at doing just basic tasks because of a crappy HDD. Just one Safari window and having a Pages document open would bring it to its knees.

I popped in a 512GB Samsung 840 Pro after that and it went lightning fast. Booting it up from a cold shutdown only took 11 seconds, and apps only bounced once or twice in the dock to open.

Ever since Mavericks, OS X is pretty resource intensive and is heavily reliant on an SSD to work properly. If you noticed, all new Macs released in 2014 and onwards shipped with an SSD inside, or a Fusion Drive (except for the late-2014 Mac Mini). Which pretty much shows that Apple is not going to optimize OS X for HDDs.

9. cynics, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015

cynics macrumors G4

I get the same with an SSD on my work iMac. I don't get it in Chrome. This is something I recently started experiencing in one of the Yosemite updates.

IMO its kind of silly to blame browser lag on an HDD when you can watch it happening with 0 disk activity.

EDIT: Not saying that an HDD can't cause lag but if we are talking with a strictly Safari only lag experience then its silly.

EDIT EDIT: OP, I just had it happen so I played around with it for a minute. I found closing Safari and immediately reopening it fixes it. In my attempt to screen shot no disk activity during the issue I saw in activity monitor that Safari Web Content and Flash Plug in were not responding. Screenshots don't put the spinning beachball on the screen so a screenshot was pointless.

Closing and reopening Safari clears that and it begins to function properly again. Although not saying much I am running the latest version of flash.

Oddly enough what caused this to happen was a game crashing when I closed it (become unresponsive) so I force closed it. So I don't know if the game (Elder Scrolls Online) or Flash initiated the problem. I can tell you one of those 2 things I wish I didnt need on my Mac and its not ESO.