iMac 2013 and Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by topgazza, Jun 4, 2014.

1. topgazza, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014

topgazza macrumors newbie

Apologies in advance of yet another request for help in building a Windows Bootcamp on a Mac. I like to think after 20 odd years servicing, supporting and managing computer environments I would get this sort of thing...but in this case I don't :confused:

I have a

iMac i7 (Oct 2013)
    Mavericks
    USB 3.0 Flash drives
    USB 2.0 external 500Gb HDD
    Windows 7 ISO image
    external USB 2.0 Samsung BluRay drive
    BootCamp 5.1.2

I've read multiple posts and forums about how to create a W7 Bootcamp. perhaps thats the problem...too many seemingly conflicting bits of information But nothing I try seems to work. I can create a BC partition but installing Windows either just doesn't work or just gives me a Boot device not found if I use a flash or DVD.

Any pointers in simple language please :D on the best way to go about this ?

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Try using Boot Camp Assistant to create the Windows installation media and appropriate drivers using a USB 2.0 flash drive. USB 3.0 can be flaky, particularly when working with Windows 7.

3. topgazza thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I do keep seeing that about 3.0

Not sure I have a USB 2.0 of the right size but can I just use the external HDD I have which is 2.0 ?

I assume I just burn rather than copy the contents of the Windows 7 DVD ISO to it in OSX when guided by BC Assistant ?

4. topgazza thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I have USB 2.0 plugged in. Windows 7 Ultimate DVD in external optical drive. When Is tart BC it gives me the 3 options

1. Create a Windows 7 Disk or later version install disk

2. Download the latest Windows support software

3. Remove windows 7 or later version

So I select all 3 or just the first two, it doest make any difference to what happens next.

I then get a screen asking create a bootable USB drive and it shows the USB stick as the destination.

The first option is to select the ISO image and seems to select some folder. So I click on search and select the external drive which then opens the content but no matter what I select BC just says

USB Drive cannot be created and

Some gumpf about only 64bit windows is supported. I guess I'm doing something dumb but any advice very much appreciated.

Oh, do i need a usb cable keyboard and mouse anyway ?

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Is your Windows 7 DVD 32- or 64-bit? The former is not going to work.

Yes, as Windows will not have any Bluetooth drivers installed upon booting it for the first time.

6. topgazza thread starter macrumors newbie

64bit version. It is the installation disk so not sure if it is an ISO image as such. If I select the drive it shows all the usual files and folders for a Windows install disk

7. topgazza thread starter macrumors newbie

Simple mistake... I assumed my Windows Install disk was an ISO.. it wasn't but of course was the extracted install files and folders. So I downloaded the Win7 Ultimate ISO from Microsoft and started Bootcamp again. Straight away it found the ISO and have just completed Windows install in my 100GB partition in no time at all.

Thing about Apple is that when it works its spectacular and just downloading one of my Steam games to see how it runs.

Thanks Saturnotaku for advice and patience :)