iMac 2013 - expected release date and configuration

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dregshwoyn, Aug 9, 2013.

1. dregshwoyn macrumors newbie

hey,

what do you think, when will the new iMac be released?
    This month? September? Oktober? Christmas?

and what do you think will the standard-configuration be - e.g. will it be like "fusion drive is standard"?

Actually i'm thinking about buying one but I'll wait for the next generation for maybe an opportunity to save money due e.g. fusion drive being included in the standard-configuration.

what do you think?

regards

2. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Apple makes a ton of money from the upgrades so I do not see them doing a fusion drive as standard.

The problem with IMac is that it does not have any serious competitors who can challenge them on specs or design, and such it seem that Apple is in no hurry to win over customers when there is no real alternative. IMO that is why you see a lot more Innovation on their mobile products because the competition is a lot more fierce.

3. Serban Suspended

since this will be the second generation since the redesign there are 2 options for base configuration and price
    1) Keep the price 1299$ but include the fusion drive as standard
    2) Keep the same configuration but with the price starts from 1199$

Check the macbook air haswell- same price but double the storage
    Same will happen with macbook pro retina...maybe starts with 100$ less

Second generation of any mac redesign has a better price/config, always have been

And i expect that the imac upgrade will be around september with faster storage, faster wifi, faster dGPU,and a little bit faster cpu and all that in combination with Maveriks will run perfectly i expect and hope

4. psingh01 macrumors 65816

if you are brave enough to open the imac and install new hard drive/ssd then you can make your own fusion drive. i've done so on my MBP and it works great, but not sure I'd try opening an iMac.

5. KaraH macrumors 6502

Gee, this thread again. :)

I would actually hope that they do not make fusion standard! Some like it and some do not. Some people get great performance out of it and others not so (last I knew, they used two different drive manufacturers). The SSDs they use are small and expensive too, I am planning on buying an aftermarket SSD.

I can not see apple making it standard though. It is a stopgap technology. They also can make the price on them whatever they want (well, within reason) as most people will not open up their machines to install it later so will bite the bullet and put it on their order. It is the same reason why people buy apple ram even though it is easy to install on the 27" and it is common knowledge you can get it cheaper.

6. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

Hoping for Fusion Standard too

I really do hope they make the Fusion Drive standard and either lower the price a bit or let it remain at its current price point. If not, I will do with out, since the computer will be fast enough for my needs anyway.