iMac 2013 hogging 2 GB of data daily

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HenryHM, Oct 26, 2013.

1. HenryHM macrumors newbie

HenryHM

Hi guys,

I have had installed two iMac on my network and since these were on I noticed a 2 -3 GB of daily internet usage.. this is very uncommon as my normal usage is 5-6 GB a month.. This will cost $300 :mad:

I was able to pin point the MACs as the culprits. yesterday I unchecked download newly available update in the background off and on one of them the install system data files and security update off while I left it ticked on on the other.. the one that has install system data files and security updates unticked used over 2 GB of data while the other has not..

Is this normal? this is a lot of bandwidth or I am out of date and 2-3 Gb is normal now a days for updates?

Both PCs have iCloud turned off..

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Giuly, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

So you live in teh Kongo? Bolivia? Or just have a rip-off ISP contract?

Check the IPs of those MACs, maybe it's your Android phones.

Switch to a modern internet provider instead of disabling updates. If you can buy Macs in your country, you should be able to do that.

You could even upgrade to Mavericks for free if you could spare 5GB of traffic. Amazing, isn't it?

3. ekiro macrumors regular

Turn off all that automatic crap.

4. HenryHM thread starter macrumors newbie

HenryHM

Yes they are rip off!! I can get more bandwidth in Australia for a cheaper rate.. but for my business I chosen that provider for many business applications for free, reliable connection and free upload..

We have no phones connected during the time of usage.. AND I have no android at all.

Mavericks is another story.. need to make sure it is not gonna cause any issue to my business programmes.. may be I should do it this billing cycle as the $300 is capped and is the max they charge :)

5. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

3GB is a average usage day for me, when I'm downloading shows from iTunes I hit upwards of 15GB in a day. Our entire family uses 200-300GB a month in home data (hey, we love the internet :p )

[​IMG]

6. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure I've used nearly 50 GB in the last week. Limited downloads for home computers is a complete ripoff.