Imac 2015 concept

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BramV, Dec 29, 2014.

1. BramV macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I was thinking about the new Imac coming up in 2015.
    I'm probably going to buy that one because I skipped the latest Imac because of the graphics card. So here is what I'd like to see on the new Imac, it isn't much but:
    - An easier to reach power button
    Is it just me or is the power button awkwardly positioned and not easy to reach?
    - A screen with no edges. I don't really like that Apple still has some pretty large black edges around the screeen
    - The GPU to be the new 980m or 970m.

I'm a beginner in 3D modeling but I tried to visualize the power button and the "non edged screen".
    http://youtu.be/QP9W42X5zLc

So what do you guys think?

2. Ipadilac macrumors member

Ipadilac

I think the power button location is fine, if they moved it I think it would make a lot of people annoyed as the button has been there for a lot of years now. (and how often do you really push that button anyways?)

I agree the black around the display would be nicer if it were thinner. but due to the design of the iMac being so thin on the edge there would be no room for the display panel to fit edge to edge. Making it thinner was kind of a dumb move in my opinion. It's all just an illusion anyways, considering the actual depth of the computer is still pretty thick where all of the hardware is anyways.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The power button location doesn't annoy me as much as the ports. I always have to feel around back there whenever I want to plug something in. Having the ports on the front would destroy the minimal look that Apple is going for, so that isn't going to happen either.

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

I don't like the glossy white plastic at all, and the sharp corners seem strange.

I doubt there will ever be a edgeless display of this size as the glass still has to be mounted to something. The rounded corners Apple puts on everything means that there will never be an edgeless display until the overall design is changed. Plus they had a court case on their distinct rounded corners, so no pointy corners.

The GPU is chosen for low power usage, so it might be that the 970m/980m uses more power overall and causes the fan to spin up too much. I think they could have bumped the GPU though.

As for the power button, I assume they expect that everyone uses sleep mode and then turns on the computer by moving the mouse. It uses so little energy and wakes up instantly compared to booting up. How often do you use the power button?

5. BramV thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, this was just a quick animation to visualize, I agree about the rounded corners. But the 970/980m are actually better then the 290/295m. They use less electricity and run cooler.