Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sakis85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Hello to all!

Recently I bought an iMac 2017 27 inch with i5 3.8Ghz 24gb of RAM with the radeon 580 gpu. Immediately when I load chrome and firefox and went to watch youtube videos I notice some serious stuttering on both 4k and 1080p videos. Safari at 1080p looks ok,

Also when I tried screenflow to record my screen while playing 1080p youtube videos at full screen the frame rate of the produced file is low as hell. My 2012 mac mini does it completely smooth which doesn't make any sense to me since all of my iMac specs are at least twice as good compared to my mac mini.

Besides videos I do notice lagging on any apps . like my IDEs when i scroll a document - i am a web developer. or for example when i post a message on skype the effect it does when showing the message on the board is supper laggy. again battery smooth on the mac mini. Cinebench and geekbench didn't show anything bizzare.

I did try both sierra and high sierra and I have the same stuttering effect on both of these.

On all of these scenarios cpu and ram are low although cpu was at 40% when I watched 4k youtube videos.

Overall I do notice lags here and there which are no justified by any means.

Does anyone else experience anything like that? Thaank you.

iMacDonald

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
This is on a Macbook Pro but thought it is worth mentioning as it may be related.
Two days ago I upgraded from El Capitan to High Sierra.

I always use Chrome. Since my upgrade I've noticed videos randomly going crazy, sometimes not loading properly or flashes parts of other parts of the web page inside of them. It looks bizarre. When I refresh the video/page it is going away.

I am demanding a lot out of my early 2013 Retina Macbook Pro running two external 2560x1440 monitors and perhaps this is not quite compatible with the low RAM on the graphics card and perhaps extra resources required by High Sierra vs El Capitan. To be honest ever since I've been running dual monitors with the Macbook Pro using Chrome things could go crazy on El Capitan with the whole second monitor suddenly being misaligned if I ever dragged a tab there to open it as a second window. But this video problem is new for sure on High Sierra. I've not been satisfied with the performance regardless and will be looking to upgrade to another type of Mac (iMac / Imac Pro / Mac Pro - haven't made my mind up).

If it is not because of lack of resources this new video problem in my 5 year old MPro perhaps there is indeed a software problem with Chrome / videos / (High) Sierra that happens on other Macs too?

Regardless I need to upgrade to something better whether this is software or hardware related. Just wish there was a new Mac Pro by now. Might have to bite the bullet and either go for i5 iMac or iMac Pro. I'm sick of fan sounds on my desk after 5 years of usage.

Last edited:

sakis85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
This is on a Macbook Pro but thought it is worth mentioning as it may be related.
Two days ago I upgraded from El Capitan to High Sierra.

I always use Chrome. Since my upgrade I've noticed videos randomly going crazy, sometimes not loading properly or flashes parts of other parts of the web page inside of them. It looks bizarre. When I refresh the video/page it is going away.

I am demanding a lot out of my early 2013 Retina Macbook Pro running two external 2560x1440 monitors and perhaps this is not quite compatible with the low RAM on the graphics card and perhaps extra resources required by High Sierra vs El Capitan. In fact when I open the Macbook Pro and not run that in Camshell mode the MPro heats up a lot and fans will stay on. Having said that I'm sure many people on Tower Mac Pros are running dual 2560x1440 setup and many of those graphics cards also have 1GB Ram.

If it is not because of lack of resources in my 5 year old MPro perhaps there is indeed a software problem with Chrome / videos / (High) Sierra that happens on other Macs too.

I do think that you push your machine to its limits.

Anyway it's not only that chrome issue but the overall lag I notice as i said earlier and i tried both sierra and high sierra.

iMacDonald

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
I do think that you push your machine to its limits.

Anyway it's not only that chrome issue but the overall lag I notice as i said earlier and i tried both sierra and high sierra.

Yeah I think the Macbook Pro is not quite designed for what I need. It sits on a laptop cooler all day too btw. :) Will probably be getting something similar to what you have soon.

If you don't get much help from the forum over the next few days I'd be inclined to go straight to Apple since your machine is so new. It sounds more serious than a software glitch if it is beyond just Chrome.

sakis85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Yeah I think the Macbook Pro is not quite designed for what I need. It sits on a laptop cooler all day too btw. :) Will probably be getting something similar to what you have soon.

If you don't get much help from the forum over the next few days I'd be inclined to go straight to Apple since your machine is so new. It sounds more serious than a software glitch if it is beyond just Chrome.
Don't get me started with Apple service, I did send the imac to apple the second day and they said that the machine works ok.

I do want to note this, From the first moment I boot the fans made a weird clicking noise, That's why I sent it to them in the first place. They said that it's normal and even if they replace it the same noise will be there too. But now this noise went away. I installed some extra ram and because the machine change place it may "fix" the fan issue. But apple said that noise is normal. How the heck a normal noise got away like that? Nonsense.

And how did they test my machine when I has a password which I didn't gave it to them and they never asked me????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.