Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
My other systems had enough inputs and old ports with older slower hardware to connect, but the new iMac simply requires new toys to achieve the simple thing of having a mic for input and headphones for monitoring, and an input for the electric (and semi acoustic) guitar(s).

My budget is basically 0, so I am trying to not spend more than I need to, but surely want something that works on usb-c or usb-3, has low latency, and works with macOS Sierra / High Sierra and Logic Pro / Garageband.

I've found quite a few things, but i have too many questions, and emailing those companies gave zero results. Whatever I found to seem to work great for audio input that works in the software, is all 350 euro and higher. I am really looking for a simple solution for around 100 to 150 ..

Hopefully the macrumors community can assist with some suggestions or 'i use this and it works great'

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
The USB 2.0 devices will work fine with with USB 3.0. My previous generation Tascam audio interface still works in Sierra for what I need but I have been looking at the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. It's a fairly new product and I'm sure it's been driver updated for Sierra. It's $150 online here in the U.S. The Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD does about the same thing for $80 if you're on a tight budget.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Thank you guys for that. I see the Dutch stores have the solo for 99 and 2i2 for 125. (incl vat/shipping) so that's within the budget.

Much appreciated! Looking into it defn.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Spend the extra money and get the 2i2.

You're going to want that second input someday.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Spend the extra money and get the 2i2.

You're going to want that second input someday.
I've looked into this with a friend, and not only is the extra input something I rather invest in now than later, it's also allowing me to have devices on either xlr and a jack input. On either ..
This would allow me to set up my tracks for my mic and guitar, or my ibanez semi acoustic and my electric les paul.. saves having either do voice over later (allowing me to narrate on a separate track right away) or switch out guitars (i can just pick up the other one and track that without having to configure things again first).

i found a dutch store selling the solo for 99 and 2i2 for 125 .. this is certainly worth it.
It's kinda sucky speed wise that it's on usb2 and not 3, i asked their sales and support both if it is worth waiting (like, are you guys around the corner with releasing newer models) and i asked them if they properly support high sierra.. i've yet to receive a response on facebook nor email (but it was the weekend, i am in no rush on this).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"i found a dutch store selling the solo for 99 and 2i2 for 125 .. this is certainly worth it.
It's kinda sucky speed wise that it's on usb2 and not 3"

USB2 will handle 2 inputs just fine.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
"i found a dutch store selling the solo for 99 and 2i2 for 125 .. this is certainly worth it.
It's kinda sucky speed wise that it's on usb2 and not 3"

USB2 will handle 2 inputs just fine.
It's good to hear that the data going through it on a live recording with 2 devices at the same time over usb2 is not affecting latency.. compared to usb3.

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
Focusrite is good stuff. But if you want really cheap I’d get on Craigslist and look for a Presonus Audiobox. You can get them for a song and a dance and they work just fine.

russofris

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
My recommendations...

For guitar only: Focusrite or Presonus. Get the new low-latency versions, not a gen-1.
For a small band: Zoom R16
For a vocalist: UA Apollo

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
Another vote for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Look for the second generation, which has updated converters with lower latency and more headroom on the inputs (to reduce clipping on hot pickups), among other things. I don't know if the first generation is still being sold, but make sure anyway. USB 2.0 handles audio very well.

I have the first generation sitting right next to my iMac. Even if I don't have a guitar plugged into it, I sometimes use it to drive Sennheiser HD600 headphones which have 300 ohm impedance.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Yeah I noticed there's a 2nd gen as well.

in the meantime, they finally replied to my facebook msg

Hi Floris,

Thank you for contacting us regarding interest in buying our products.

Regarding compatibility with our products and High Sierra please read this article below:
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115005073725-Focusrite-product-compatibility-with-macOS-10-13-High-Sierra

Additionally, our technical support team is happy to answer any technical questions like your USB-C/USB-3 question.

(removed phone numbers)

Live chat is in use from 2am - 6pm Pacific Time, Monday to Friday. When an agent is available you will see the 'Live Chat' button appear on this page: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

We will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Their live chat is always down for me, never get a response.
Their email support is super slow, takes nearly a week to get a reply, i mailed 3x, got 2 replies. meh.

They didn't really respond to my usb3, but you guys did, and in the meantime i found their page about it myself: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/208095469-USB-2-0-vs-USB-3-0

Not sure why tech support has to be contacted, when they could have just forwarded the questions, .. the tech support contact is what i used.

I can't say im impressed with the way they've dealt with my questions. The best repsonse so far is actually the high sierra one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.