iMac 2017 making subtle rattling noise

Discussion in 'iMac' started by enigma2k, Jul 20, 2017.

1. enigma2k macrumors regular

Hello,

After having my iMac 2017 27" for 2 weeks already, it just started making some subtle rattling noise. At first it switched from being silent (only hearing the fan at 1200rpm) to the additional rattling sound (also with the fan at 1200rpm). Now I've this subtle rattling sound permanently in the background.
    This is something you only hear if your room is completely silent but I'm afraid it may get worse over time.

Anybody else experienced this and knows where this is coming from? I assume it is a problem with the fan itself that it doesn't run as it should. Is there an app that allows me to control fan speed? would love to pause it for a moment.

2. Ph.D. macrumors 6502

Do you have a fusion drive? If so, you are probably noticing the hard disk seeking.

3. enigma2k thread starter macrumors regular

no Fusion drive, only a 500gb SSD

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

SMCFanControl allows you to adjust the fan speed. You can't actually pause, or turn OFF the fan, but you can increase the fan speed, which can also help you decide if the fan is the source of the noise.

5. enigma2k thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! SMCFanControl did not work (nothing happened when I tried to change the rpm) but I have downloaded Macs Fan Control and it worked (https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/47386/macs-fan-control#) . I turned the fans all the way up and then down again and the rattling is now gone. I hope it will stay this way... :)

6. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

Big carry I know but take it back to a Genius Bar rather than the problem occurring after warranty. Remove Macs Fan Control first as you should not need it.

7. WilliamG macrumors G3

Fans can be funny things. I know my 2012 iMac needed a smack on the back every now and then to settle the fan rattles.

8. mikelowski macrumors newbie

mikelowski

Noticed yesterday the same after bringing down brightness. It seems to come from lower left side.