Imac 2017 vs 2019

Andyfloraljem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2020
Hi everyone. Quick question. I'm upgrading my mac and looking to get a Imac 27inch and there is two choices for me. A 2017 imac 27 inch which has a quad core 3.8 and AMD Radeon Pro 580 or a 2019 6 core but a 3.0 processer and AMD Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB .
I cant decided between the two as the slightly older one has slightly better spec whereas the new one has 6 core but a bit slower processer. I'm doing mostly sound design with logic and some stand alone software, I do some production with protools, drum resampling with steve slate drummer. A bit of gaming, world of warcraft. nothing too crazy but I'd like to avoid lag, which mixing, editing and sound design projects. Problems I've had in the past is mainly my projects stop mid where once a get a few plug-ins going. Any help would be great.

theluggage

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2011
I cant decided between the two as the slightly older one has slightly better spec whereas the new one has 6 core but a bit slower processer.
I'd do a bit of investigation with Activity Monitor on your current machine and see how often you're 'lighting up' all your cores.

Others who've actually used it may like to chime in here, but audio tends to make good use of multiple cores so I'd suspect that the 6 cores would more than make up for the slightly lower frequency.