Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serge Berezkin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
7
0
Kyiv
Searching about 2 month about breaking fusion drive and change original apple ssd to nvme2 samsung.
Not enough information in internet, youtube.
So, operation was completed successfully - 2 days test - no problems at all.

Hope it will help some one who searching info
---
As i have understood samsung 960 pro is similar to fabric apple blade ssd
-Why Samsung 960 pro, when there is newer 970 - because of temperature.
32C on 960 pro vs up to 80C on 970 version


Used equipment
image_4.jpg


2019-12-29 11.44.32.jpg
 
Last edited:

Paratriplel

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
251
59
Nice to hear it’s doable.
Any tips or links to shade that you found helpful? I myself are in the process of deciding about MacBook Pro 16”, iMac CTO with a SSD upgrade or if I should buy an iMac and upgrade it with an SSD because the high end iMac costs $500 more at Apple Store than at retail here in Sweden and on top of that I should just pay those $500 to be able to pay another $120 for the 512 GB SSD or $350 for 1 TB and I really feel unease about it but in a bit tired of trying to find the “best solution” so in a month or so I’ll just have to go with something.

if it’s possible to Setup a bass iMac with NVME SSD without risk much hassle I might just as well go that route which was what i first had planned.
 
Last edited:

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
352
201
Hey what are your reads/writes on the Samsung, and which model? Is Apple still bottlenecking the stick with 2-lanes?
 

Serge Berezkin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
7
0
Kyiv
Nice to hear it’s doable.
Any tips or links to shade that you found helpful? I myself are in the process of deciding about MacBook Pro 16”, iMac CTO with a SSD upgrade or if I should buy an iMac and upgrade it with an SSD because the high end iMac costs $500 more at Apple Store than at retail here in Sweden and on top of that I should just pay those $500 to be able to pay another $120 for the 512 GB SSD or $350 for 1 TB and I really feel unease about it but in a bit tired of trying to find the “best solution” so in a month or so I’ll just have to go with something.

if it’s possible to Setup a bass iMac with NVME SSD without risk much hassle I might just as well go that route which was what i first had planned.
I have updated first post.
2 weeks tets - everything is great. Catalina 15.2, no sleep issues
[automerge]1577613198[/automerge]
Hey what are your reads/writes on the Samsung, and which model? Is Apple still bottlenecking the stick with 2-lanes?
A little bit slower than new 970, but no problems with overheating and firmware issues
 

Attachments

  • Blackmagic Design Disk Speed Test 2019-12-29 11-50-05.png
    Blackmagic Design Disk Speed Test 2019-12-29 11-50-05.png
    612.1 KB · Views: 260
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.