imac 21.5 1.4

Discussion in 'iMac' started by steelem, Dec 9, 2015.

1. steelem macrumors newbie

steelem

hi all - I have just bought my daughter an imac for xmas - ~the model number is MF883 b/a it has a 1.4G processor & 500gb HDD - just wondering if i was going to upgrade down the line would i upgrade the processor or hard drive..

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its pretty much a sealed computer, what you bought is what you'll get.

3. steelem thread starter macrumors newbie

steelem

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You will be able to have the hard drive changed out but it is a bit of nightmare so a trained technician should do it if you haven't got the skills, take a look at the iFixit website for all upgrade guides for macs.

Unless your daughter is using pro apps with heavy images or video files or she is using multiple VM's then 8GB should be more than enough RAM for the forseeable future. The only issue with that machine going forward will be the rather weak integrated graphics card, still it performs as a macbook air so the likes of web gaming and older less intense titles should be fine.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mostly no, as mentioned above, technically you can upgrade the hard drive, but the iMac is literally sealed and so its not for the faint of heart. You'll also need the tools and supplies required which most people don't have.

For the most part apple only sells sealed computers at this stage, only the $3,000 MacPro has some upgradeability, and even then its not much.

6. steelem thread starter macrumors newbie

steelem

Thanks all for your response - i wouldnt mind replacing that HDD in time but guess cost may be an issue. ill see how she gets along with it first.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Depending on usage, it probably won't be an issue.

Good luck and I'm sure your daughter will love the iMac, I know I love mine :D