Imac 21.5 ($1500) or Imac 27 Quadcore?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ab1472, Dec 5, 2009.

1. ab1472 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm planning on purchasing an imac, along with Adobe CS4 (and CS5, when it's released) and Final Cut Studio for picture/video editing, animation, etc...

I'm planning on getting into it professionally, but am going to spend the next year or two simply learning the programs inside and out (already know FC backwards, but have never used any Adobe software).

Anyway, i work a crappy $9/hr under the table job and saving money is almost unbearable...I know CS4 and FCS will run on the Imac 21.5, but am wondering if i should just stick it out and save an extra $700 for the quadcore...

I'm guessing i'll be using whatever comp i get for about 2 years before upgrading to a BEAST that will allow me to get into this line of work professionally...

I suppose if i got the quadcore i wouldn't have to upgrade for years to come, but like i said, saving money is brutal and the software i need, alone, is going to run about 3-4 grand...

Anyway, sorry for writing a novel on here, but i'm really torn...I'll be able to buy the 21.5 this week, and want to get to work and quit my crap job asap...

thanks...

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...why don't you check the apple refurb store, you can get the prev gen 24" top of the line iMac for $1350 with 4GB RAM and a 1 TB HDD... that way, you'd be able to save some $$, get a great machine that doesn't have all the rev A issues the current models seem to be having...

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

agreed, if money is that tight, the refurb 24"ers are a great way to go.

4. ab1472 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys...

I hadn't thought of that. Definitely going to check it out...

I'm new to heavy duty type work (i also know virtually nothing about hardware) and am just worried that the duo core will become obsolete in terms of Adobe/final cut type software, but i think thats probably an absurd thought...

I'm pretty much putting all i got into this comp/software, so i really want to hit the nail on the head in terms of getting the right set up...

The quad core would be awesome, but if the 21.5 can do what i need it to, i'll probably get that.

5. 11800506 macrumors 65816

If you're planning on doing it professionally, then I'd buy the quad core, but since you say that it won't be for awhile, if you find your machine doesn't suit you then you could always sell it used and buy a new one then. The quad core definitely will be faster when encoding things in programs such as Final Cut, but I think if it had to, the refub 24" or 21.5" could both work perfectly fine.