Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silvereik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
Finland
I want to install 500gb ssd to my parents old imac but need confirmation about soldering sata wires to disable 100% fan speed.

What i have found that u need to solder together wire 1 and 4 on SATA power plug (reading from the SATA key side).

There is also guide to jump wire 2 and 7 but its on the board side and i don't want to dissemble so much.

Last edited:

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
There are ways to do it. Unfortunately, it eliminates any temp sensor for the drive.

Doesn’t matter how many report success. Those who do it with HDDs are idiots. With SSDs, it’s only foolish. iMacs get hot inside and it’s worse when fan sensors are disabled.

Buy the correct part.

silvereik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
Finland
Also as mentioned in article connecting pin 2 and 7 on board is apple's own hack when they used ssd. Its foolish to spen 50 dollars for cable what you dont really need. This proper cable is a must yes if u use regular hard drive.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014

I'm not going to say you need or don't need a temp sensor for an SSD, as that is for you to figure out.

But, the iMacs get really hot inside regardless of what type of drive you have installed. Of course a HDD will generate a lot more heat than a SSD, but I still think it is important to have that sensor working properly with the SSD's location being in the center of two high-heat generating components.

I have an SSD in my 27", and the iMac runs much cooler, but it still gets really hot sometimes.

silvereik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
Finland
Anyway i keep you updated for science if i blow it or it will work. I install sdd this or next weekend. If i do believe internet, jumping these pins doesnt disable your fans or make it work wrong. Hdd fan will just spin about idle speed and its good enough. Also when i spec imac temps right now, hdd fan doesnt rampping when hdd is 50-52*C and probably its start to fail. Its a bit noisi and super slow/freezing when there is a lot of hdd usage even after clean os install.

I take some screenshots before and after to se what fans/temps do.

If jumping wire from drive side looks sketchy i need to lift board.

I dont think that apple himself installed solid drives but maybe that it was for repair shops for upgrading drives when people start to demand ssds

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Anyway i keep you updated for science if i blow it or it will work. I install sdd this or next weekend. If i do believe internet, jumping these pins doesnt disable your fans or make it work wrong. Hdd fan will just spin about idle speed and its good enough. Also when i spec imac temps right now, hdd fan doesnt rampping when hdd is 50-52*C and probably its start to fail. Its a bit noisi and super slow/freezing when there is a lot of hdd usage even after clean os install.

I take some screenshots before and after to se what fans/temps do.

If jumping wire from drive side looks sketchy i need to lift board.

I dont think that apple himself installed solid drives but maybe that it was for repair shops for upgrading drives when people start to demand ssds
I've been curious about this too.

silvereik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
Finland
Yep. Mine does.

On the 2011? No they didn't.

I am reading just now imac 2011 technician/repair guide and there it says some models come with ssd and its mounted under cd drive

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 21.47.39.png

[doublepost=1563389605][/doublepost]found it

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 21.52.44.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Aiwi

silvereik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
Finland
Its done and I didn't break it :D

diskutility.png

It was very dusty, never opened.

20190722_185652.jpg

There some pics what I did with these wires.

20190722_192914.jpg 20190722_192931.jpg 20190722_194846.jpg 20190722_194857.jpg
20190722_195738.jpg
20190722_203250.jpg

silvereik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
Finland
Also some temps and fan speeds but feels like hdd fan speed didn't change a lot :D

I just let it read/write about 100gb, it took long time with hdd

Before...

Idle/Some hdd tested
Screen Shot, idle.png

about100gb.png

And after

idleafter.png

about100gbafter.png

Overall it went well and I think its good enough for my parents web surfing and paying pills.

Reactions: splifingate
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.