iMac 21.5 4k vs same Skylake iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ka-spot, Nov 6, 2015.

1. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

I don't need it. I just want it :) (with 256 SSD).

How much the price will drop with second retina iMac model ?
    How better will be with Skylake onboard graphics (for a web developer) ?
    Will it be available February ?

Lets speculate :)

What do you guys think ?

2. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Update in October 2016 with Skylake and integrated graphics. It will be wonderful :) Price won't drop.

3. azure247 macrumors 6502

It drops around 100-150 dollars when the next revision launches.

4. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

Price drop will be tiny. Always has been this way, old model gets dropped by 100-200 bucks. If you want cheaper your best bet is refurbished.

For a web developer, that's a very general thing. I have a few wordpress built websites I work on and I can do that fine with a 5 year old macbook pro with garbage integrated graphics, no doubt you'll be fine with any imac made in the past 8 years if that's what you're doing. If you're doing flash or java type design? Will be more strenuous but should still work.

5. ka-spot thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm currently using MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013) and it's more then enough :) I'm pretty happy with it. I just always wanted iMac, but 27" is toooo big for me, and now with 21.5 retina - well, I just want it :)

If I don't lie myself first 27" base model retina iMac started at $2499 when was relesed and next one was released with starting price at $1999. That kind of price drop I imagine for next 21.5" retina model February with Skylake :) I'm not going for $500, but $200 will be very nice... this means that here will drop with 200 euro.

How is the current 21.5" model ? With SSD I assume it's more then enough for "heavy" tasks like ~50MB Photoshop files edit & some rare 720p videos edit for YouTube ? :) My other usage is Sublime Text and browsing + YouTube. I'm not a gamer :)

6. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

haha yeah the 27 inch screen is beastly but honestly bro, if you have the physical desktop space, i'd recommend getting it. Studies have show that larger screens have a very real impact on productivity. :)

Assuming you don't get the horrid 5400 rpm harddrive, then that 4k imac will do everything you ever dreamed of short of gaming. The skylake benefits are mainly geared towards power users who are going to be working their cpus hard, they stay much cooler (despite the couple of wieners posting on this board lately lol) Cpu isn't going to change your world much. 50mb photoshop files? Yeah you can handle that. I do dance team posters for colleges and highschools with tons of layers at high resolutions and those get saved sometimes close to 1000mbs in size... if my 6 year old imac could handle that then the 4k can certainly do so lol. The 5k will be better at everything but if that screen is physically too big for your workspace then the 21 incher will suit you nicely. :)

7. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

Expect no Skylake upgrade until next October. About the same price, but hopefully with USB-c.

8. ka-spot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why October 2016? First retina 27" is release October, and next one in May. This is 6 months, not a year :) They can do very same thing with 21.5" and release a new model with Skylake in February.. or no Skylake suitable for 21.5" retina until summer 2016?

9. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

Mid-2015 update wasn't a full update. I think Apple just threw this in to introduce a cheaper model.

10. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

As the other poster pointed out, the one in May was to hit a lower price point. The Skylake chips with integrated GPU appropriate for the 21 inch iMac will be available mid-next year. Although Apple could release upgraded machines then, they seem to be on a consistent cycle: clear out the old stock with back to school promotions in late summer through early September, then release a new, upgraded model in mid-October for the holiday season. You'll likely see USB C and Thunderbolt 3. But it's also nice when Apple surprises us (as they did with the Retina screen). So we'll see what transpires next fall.