iMac 21.5 4K

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nickb1984, Jun 13, 2017.

1. nickb1984 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys, I am looking to buy for home use. Quick question - can I attach / hook up my HP Laptop which is my work machine and use the glorious 4K screen? Thanks, Nick.

2. MadDane macrumors 6502a

What you are looking for is what is called Target Display Mode. But unfortunately, that is not possible with machines from 2014 and newer (source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592). So in short, no you cannot do what you wish to do with the 4k iMac.

3. epca12 macrumors regular

it's a shame that it's not supported. is it something they could do with a software update?

4. nickb1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just as my figure was hovering over the buy trigger!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2017 ---
    Any views on alternative machines. Windows I guess? What's the number one alternative?

5. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I am not sure. I really hope they can in High Sierra (since there will be eGPU support) but at this stage I don't think it is something anyone should count on.

6. epca12 macrumors regular

I guess it could be a way of them pushing customers to the LG displays? I think originally it was because a single cable connection couldn't push 5K but Apple have managed to do that with Thunderbolt 3 now so i hope they change it