Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter May

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Hello guys!

I've been looking all over the web about this but unfortunately couldn't find much.
I have a 21.5" iMac as the title suggests and I would like to also use it as an external screen to my PC tower. Also note that this is a 2010 model and came without the Thunderbolt port.
I've heard all sorts of opinions such as "Not gonna happen" but I've also come across some people saying that it is possible through ethernet cable and some software. However everything I've encountered was quite misty, so I thought I'd pay a visit to the temple of apple solving issues. :p

Any specific answers are more than welcome!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hello guys!

I've been looking all over the web about this but unfortunately couldn't find much.
I have a 21.5" iMac as the title suggests and I would like to also use it as an external screen to my PC tower. Also note that this is a 2010 model and came without the Thunderbolt port.
I've heard all sorts of opinions such as "Not gonna happen" but I've also come across some people saying that it is possible through ethernet cable and some software. However everything I've encountered was quite misty, so I thought I'd pay a visit to the temple of apple solving issues. :p

Any specific answers are more than welcome!

I'll put you out of your misery. Only the 27" mini Displayport iMac can do Target Display mode. :(

Peter May

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
I'll put you out of your misery. Only the 27" mini Displayport iMac can do Target Display mode. :(

Aww :(
But my iMac also has the miniDisplay port. Is it only an output for using other screens as external monitors to the iMac?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Aww :(
But my iMac also has the miniDisplay port. Is it only an output for using other screens as external monitors to the iMac?

Correct. See here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP588?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

The 21.5":

Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, dual-link DVI, and VGA video (requires adapters, sold separately)

The 27":

Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, dual-link DVI, and VGA video (requires adapters, sold separately); supports input from external DisplayPort sources (adapters sold separately)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.