iMac 21.5" audio white paper?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Icaras, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Hi, I was just wondering if there is any document out there by Apple providing more details of the iMac's built in stereo sound and speakers.

The reason being is we currently have a pair of now discontinued, Creative I-Trigue 2200 2.0 speakers, and although they are low end, I have learned from Apple's basic iMac tech specs page, that the iMac speakers use 17 watts of power, the exact same amount in the Creative speakers, which is surprisingly loud for built in desktop speakers. However, beyond this however, there are no real further specifications.

Which begs the question if keeping these speakers are even worth it. I have spent a fair amount of time going back and forth between these two speakers and have noticed that besides the obvious advantage of having greater stereo depth of the Creatives (being able to spread them out farther and having direct facing drivers, as opposed to downward firing into the desk), I have noticed that the Creatives have slightly better tone control, with slightly brighter highs. However the difference is marginal. I must say, I am very impressed with the iMac's audio quality. I was expecting well below average PC desktop sound, but it seems Apple has surprised me. If I can do away with the extra desk clutter, cables, and an annoying wall wart, then to me, little loss in quality is very minimal in compromise.

I want to look at numbers and see for example, the frequency response range and signal to noise ratio. Would anyone know this? Any info or link on the specifics of the iMac's audio in detail would be great.

2. slicecom macrumors 68020

I don't think Apple releases specs like that, and anyone who is serious enough to do measurements like that wouldn't be caught dead using the built in iMac speakers. I think you're going to have to decide for yourself whether you prefer them to your creatives or not. ;)

3. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

I know. This is much more of a subjective thing that anything. Just thought I'd try and put some objectivity into it. :eek:

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Power doesn't mean Quality or Volume.

Power is also used differently by different companies. Some use peak, some use average. Not the same.

If you really care, buy a firewire/usb sound card, and connect to a real sound system.

5. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

Thanks, but that is not my objective. I am not looking for more power. I am trying to look for a sensible compromise, between two given sets of speakers.