iMac 21,5" Buy now on discount or wait for possible "performance-boost"?!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dregshwoyn, Aug 28, 2013.

1. dregshwoyn macrumors newbie

hey,

maybe you can help me. I'm interessted in an 21,5" iMac with 2,9Ghz, 8GB Ram and a Fusiondrive. Currently i could get one of those at a local electronics store (saturn) for 1499€ which is 300€ below apple's price + i would get an extra 150€ coupon on top.

The only thing that keeps me from buying is the possible "performance boost" in the next Gen.

The only game I want to play on that iMac is DayZ - all the other stuff is browsing the web, office etc.

Do you think that configuration of mine will handle DayZ ok/well/poor and therefore its worth waiting for the next Gen having updated GPUs?

thanks

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

450€ off? I would jump at it. The next generation will have Haswell chips which is not going to make that much difference. The improved wifi will depend on your set up (Mine is sat next to the router so I use a wire). As for the gaming thing, I use a console but I'm sure others will be able to advise. There is also no guarantee when the iMac will be updated. It could be months from now. I should know, I spent most of 2012 waiting for mine!

So if you need one now, buy it. If you already have a set up and would prefer to wait it out then do so.

3. NbinHD macrumors 6502

Thats a hard one. If i were you, i would wait. Most likely, the next high end haswell imac 21.5'' will feature a 1gb dgpu - which would help you get wayyyy better fps when gaming.

4. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

That's pure conjecture, sorry. Other than Haswell no one has any idea what other updates may happen.

For as much off as the OP is talking that's a great deal, and if you search the forum it sounds like it should perform decently.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Yes it might be conjecture, but based on evidence, the iMac update is likely to have:
    • Haswell CPU
    • 802.11ac
    • SSDs will likely be PCIe instead of SATA based.
    • Improved (at least slightly) graphics. Although the base 21.5" model might have Intel 5000 integrated graphics.

6. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Don't disagree.

But the big benefit of Haswell is the integrated graphics (not an issue on the iMac), 802.11ac will only be noticed if someone is moving massive files around their home network via wifi, the SSD change won't be noticeable, and there might be a slight graphics improvement or the 21.5" will actually be slower if it's got integrated graphics.

Is that worth more than the considerable savings on a slightly older model the OP talks about? Not IMO.

7. dregshwoyn thread starter macrumors newbie

Last Chance Fancy pants - Buy or wait xD already Holding the Box in my Hand walking up and down in the Saturn market xD

8. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

Where do you live in Europe? An 21,5" iMac with 2,9Ghz, 8GB Ram and a 1TB Fusion drive at that price? tell me....I am going to buy it right now....!!!:)

9. dregshwoyn thread starter macrumors newbie

10. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

Not very close....

:apple:Are you still home? SATURN is waiting for you...don't miss it!!!

11. dregshwoyn thread starter macrumors newbie