iMac 21.5 dilemma

Discussion in 'iMac' started by elwood401, Jan 28, 2013.

1. elwood401 macrumors newbie

I would like to buy a new iMac -21.5 inches but I still struggle what to choose
    I want to go for the Fusion drive with 1 TB HD and then I have two options
    • 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with GT 640M
    • 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with GT 650M
    My question is quite simple – does the money that I spent of faster CPU/GPU brings really more power in processing the photos/videos (very occasionally) or will it make more sense to go for a chipper CPU/GPU config and buy more RAM – 16 GB

Your though are very much appreciated
    Lukasz

2. demeyerb macrumors newbie

I'd go for the base model combined with a fusion drive upgrade. Much more snappiness and I'm not convinced that a normal user will even notice the difference between the two CPU/GFX.

3. trustever macrumors 6502

If I where in you before adding some extra memory I would check before what Activity Monitor says at the end of the day of normal - high use

refer to this article for guidance

http://macintoshhowto.com/hardware/does-my-mac-need-more-memory.html

Should you not have any page out it means that the extra memory you want to add will sit there idle all the time.

Same for the processor, you can check the CPU tab to see your usage although that is not comulative but reflect your current usage but should be a good guide to see if the updgrade it will make sence.

Than if you do not have problem at slashing cash buy the most expensive one just to show off :) (I wish I could do it)

4. Flyswater macrumors newbie

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. Then I realized my current PC (just ordered my first Mac) is 6 years old. And the PC I owned before that was also 6 years old when I replaced it. So I thought screw it, I have no idea what the future holds, so the "future proofing" mentality kicked in. I got the high end 21" with 16 GB and FD. Chances are I may not see the difference today between the two machines, but maybe five years in I may see the difference with whatever apps/games I'm running. Just a thought...

5. natekettles macrumors member

natekettles

Drive speed is NB - so go Fusion or maybe even SSD (if you can afford it)
    Then RAM is second.
    I wouldn't even worry about the CPU upgrade. You won't notice the difference.

6. The Robot Cow macrumors 6502

The Robot Cow

I doubt that you'll push the processors to their limits so the i5 is fine. But I'd go with the fusion drive and/or the ram upgrade

7. DragonXRose macrumors newbie

Depends

I am looking at the same iMac for home-use. Not knowing what to choose, i went to the mac-store and asked a employee.

(note: i use my MBP 2010 for adobe programs and my graphic design studies)

The employee told me to go for the 16 gb ram because the computer would last longer, rather then to go with an upgraded processor. Why? because the upgraded processor would only have a small, minimal effect on my workflow.
    Since i'm not running 3D or anything.

I suggest you just pop into a store and ask,, for you specific situation, what would be the best.

8. mikeorchard macrumors regular

Chances are that the extra RAM is only have a small, minimal effect on your workflow as well then. The faster CPU/GPU is better value for money than Apple's RAM prices. By the time 16GB is the norm (heck, 8GB isn't really the norm yet unless you're working with photos/videos), should be less of a risk to open up the iMac and replace the RAM more cheaply yourself.

9. whizpup macrumors newbie

Get the mid 2012 model rather than spend more for the 2013 thin machines. The new iMac have zero upgradability and near zero repairability. Factor that in to your decision. The mid 2012s are discounted nicely too.