imac 21.5 gpu upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Fr4nk15, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Fr4nk15 macrumors newbie

right people how do i stand with a gpu upgrade on my mid 2011 21.5 imac.
    so i have done ram-cpu and a ssd so far.
    i know people say leave it alone but i like a challenge and macs look cool :cool:.
    i was wondering how far i could take it Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-870M-6GB-DDR5-MXM or do i have to stay within the parameters of the gpu's that were released for this line of imac.
    manys thanks in advance :D

2. MacVidCards Suspended

Sadly there are very few options and little info.

I did notice a disturbing thing on a list of device ids for Nvidia "m" cards. The Apple version was always 1 bit different than PC equivalent.

So even using self-init feature all Apple has to do is exclude ids for the PC Cards and BINGO ! No options.

Your best bet is to find someone's report of a functional swap and do EXACTLY what they did. There is a guy at Netkas trying to open this field up but I am afraid that his exuberance exceeds his abilities.

I have posted several times that I would be interested in hearing from a Mac repair shop in LA/Hollywood area. I don't have time or space to work on iMacs but pretty sure our knowledge with Mac EFI could translate into better GPU options for iMacs with MXM option.

At the very least, should be possible to offer something Yosemite capable when people have dead 7600Gt cards. Amazing that those still go for $200-400 when you already have machine open may as well put in a card that adds capability.

Good luck.

3. Fr4nk15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you kind I sir.
    I will update as I do it with photo's I've always been a keen pc builder I am sure I will sort some sort of upgrade or die trying lol.
    Good excuse to buy a 5k imac #