iMac 21.5 i5 won't boot from DVD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by antonof, Jul 30, 2011.

1. antonof, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

antonof macrumors newbie

So here is my situation...

Bought iMAc with preinstalled Lion on it. But as I don't won't Lion yet, I formatted disk so it is empty now. But the system won't boot from my SL DVD.

It stucks on Apple logo. I hear DVD is spinning but then just stops and screen remains there.

DVD is ok as it works in my other iMac. Also System would boot with windows install DVD.

I noticed the same problem with booting from DVD in OSX even before I touched my OSX system, but I was thinking it is because of older version of OSX then the one installed.

Same thing happens if I try to boot from USB device.

Any help?
    Thanks!

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

If it's a NEW iMac, then it requires at minimum a modified version of 10.6.6 to boot. Put the thing in target disk mode and install SL from a machine that can boot from your SL disk. Then boot that older machine from the iMac's hard drive and update to 10.6.8. Then the iMac should be able to boot from its own hard drive.

3. antonof thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I tried to boot from DVD with SL 10.6.7 and I didn't succeed. So I f I got your instructions right I should:

1. Put my new iMac (the one with a problem) in the target mode.
    2. Connect it with Firewire cable with my old iMac which has SL 10.6.8 installed.
    3. Boot my new imac from my old imac.
    4. INext time new imac will boot from its own disk.

Is that correct?

4. antonof, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

antonof thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved. Thanks, Detrius.

If anybody needs detailed info on that, let me know.