imac 21.5 iMove or FCP?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dylanpipe, Jul 11, 2012.

1. dylanpipe macrumors newbie

hey guys,
    I have been doing a lot of filming of late, but since I do not have a mac I have not been able to edit. But, I should be getting a Imac 21.5 within a few weeks.

But, I know iMovie comes with a mac, and FCP is rather pricy. I know this is most likely frowned apon, but how safe would it be to download FCP off a site like, piratebay, etc. Since, there are many,many more video effects and just better workflow with fcp.
    Im filming with a canon t2i, so would I be able to straight up upload the video clips or would I need to convert them, and would this reduce the quality?

Last question, I'm making a summer video,movie thing and for an effect I want text but with video clips inside the text would this be possible with iMovie?
    https://vimeo.com/userfundaprod check out some of our videos!

thanks,
    dylan p.

2. zMacintoshz macrumors regular

zMacintoshz

You can try out FCPX for 30 days, just go on the apple website and download it off the FCPX page, if you don't feel safe downloading it from the pirate bay

3. mcpix macrumors regular

I would suggest trying iMovie first and downloading the trial of FCP X.

I've become a big fan of FCP X and would recommend that if you find you like it, that you save up and buy it from the Apple store. First, it's the right thing to do. Second, no headaches with pirated software. Finally, Apple has been pretty good about releasing timely updates. If you own it, they're free!

4. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

This is a bit off the main topic but iMovie has sucked so badly since after 6.0.4 that I just can't recommend it. I don't know what they were thinking getting rid of the timeline. The current iMovie is ludicrous.

5. mcpix macrumors regular

I actually still use iMovie 6 HD. I hope it still works with Mountain Lion.

I don't like the new iMovie either, but I'm really liking FCP X.