iMac 21.5 in. + SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by joeylou, Nov 25, 2011.

1. joeylou macrumors newbie

I have an iMac 21.5 in. with a 1TB HD. I am looking to install a 60GB Solid State Drive. I'm not sure if there is an open connector in the drive bay to install the unit? I am hoping that you can have both the original HD and the SSD in the bay at the same time. Hopefully someone can clarify that for me. If this can be done, can anyone recommend a good 60GB SSD?

Thank you for the help!

Joey Lounsbury
    :apple:

2. tnewson macrumors member

You can and theres two ways to do. One way involves taking out the logic board and attaching a second sata cable. This will allow you use a sata 3 speed SSD.

The second way is a lot less work, you pretty much replace the optical drive with a caddy that has an SSD slot and the slimline sata to Sata adapter. This only allows you sata 2 speeds but it still faster than your HDD.

Obviously you loose your optical drive but it's what I'm going to do.

But there's some talk of windows not being bootable from the optical port connection. Can't seem to get a definitive answer about this so im just going to try for myself.

Whatever way you do it, it's well worth it.

3. joeylou thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply. I wouldn't want to lose my optical drive, and would rather have the sata 3 speeds anyway. You mentioned you weren't sure if Windows would be bootable. Are you on a Windows machine?

Also what maker would you recommend?