iMac 21,5 inch questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vandefilm, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Vandefilm macrumors regular

Hi all,
    First off, I will explain my needs. I basically need a computer to do some light video editing (I use screenflow) to post on youtube (mostly 1080p), garageband and the usual stuff (surfing, watching movies etc.). I don't game or anything. I now have a 27'' 2011 iMac with 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD drive (apple original) and an i7 processor.
    That's overkill for my needs and I don't mind the smaller screen. This, plus I like the new look of the new iMac made me decide to go for either the 21.5'' iMac or the new MBP (I will wait for it to come out to see my options).

Now, I opted for the 21.5'' iMac with the i5 processor, 8GB RAM and Fusion drive. I have two questions:
    1. I'm doubting about upgrading to 16GB RAM since you can't upgrade it yourself. So can I use this machine for a couple of years to come with 8GB of RAM?

2. I now have a SSD drive which is completely silent. Will the HDD of the fusion drive make so much noise that it's detectable if I just work on my computer?

3. Anyone interested in my 27'' iMac? :D I live in Holland.

2. kfury77 macrumors regular

kfury77

This is a strange buying decision. You're going to pay to downgrade your screen size, RAM and hard drive. Are you sure you want to do that? You may end up missing that 27" screen and SSD. I don't think 8GB is quite enough for video editing -go for 16GB as you can't upgrade it yourself.

3. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Personally I prefer the bigger screen when working. Many folders, apps are open at the same time and the bigger screen gives the advantage.

4. Vandefilm thread starter macrumors regular

I know I'm not going to miss the 27'' screen. And the SSD is the fusion drive is fast then the 256 SSD of apple from 3 years ago.
    RAM is indeed a concern. Maybe I will stick with my machine. Is does the job but it's a huge machine which I come to dislike. I still need some thinking time I guess :eek:.

I've read in other threads btw that the fusion drive can be noisy, so that also is a something to think about.

5. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Another factor to think about is that with the 21" screen, the components inside are tightly closer positioned on each other with little less breathing room unlike the more spacious 27" and maybe the cooling fans are bigger.

6. dadayosang macrumors newbie

yeah,Is does the job but it's a huge machine which I come to dislike. I still need some thinking time I guess[​IMG]