iMac 21.5" is suitable for 3d in Chemistry?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MingCrystal, Oct 24, 2009.

1. MingCrystal macrumors newbie

Dear all

This thread is my first thread and am sorry that I'm not good in English, but I try explain what I want from buying new iMac.

I have switched from MS to Mac for 3 years. I have my old MBW 2 GHz C2D w/ 950. I am considering to buy new mac desktop for my science research in home. I am doing research about 3D of bio-molecular structure which needs a good graphic card. There is a PC for this research in my university, but it is installed with linux. Of course, I can do job with this PC.

However, sometimes I want to continue my job in my home with light 3D-graphic work. So I am thinking of buying 3.06 GHz iMac 21.5 with ATI 4670. That is a good idea, isn't it? Can you advise me about buying new iMac for this job?

(I can set my budget on only iMac 21.5 inch)

Thanks

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Yes, get the 21.5in iMac with the ATI 4670. It will suit your needs perfectly.

3. MingCrystal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply! I will be glad to get more reply. :)

4. bradbowl macrumors member

I am a chemistry professor that uses molecular modeling software regularly on our iMacs at the university and on my Macbook during lectures. Our 24" 2.66 GHz last generation iMacs run Spartan 08 nicely in Leopard and even Snow Leopard. I've used the Linux version at my old institution as well and have seen any appreciable difference. Long calculations taking 2 days or more does get the iMacs pretty warm however due to their form factor. I do light modeling on my 2.0 aluminum Macbook without any problems either.

I'm positive the new iMacs will perform admirably for your research. Good luck!

5. MingCrystal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for Bradbowl's reply. That is a good news for me!