Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kev-in-spain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2020
Hi all,
I've done a search of the forum but it doesn't turn up anything specific to my question. If I've missed it, please just post up a link to it. If not, here's my question...
Can I replace the graphics card of a late 2013 imac?
The issue started with a green vertical line up one side of the screen, developed into the display flashing on and off and finally just gave up and went blank. This happened over the course of about a month.
My local computer shop has quoted 600€ to do the job so I'm assuming it's possible but, having searched the internet, I'm seeing conflicting info on whether it can or can't be done.
I'm not interested in any upgrade, just replace like for like.

Any guidance will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Kev.

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
Nope, you can't replace the graphics card on the 2013 - it is BGA soldered onto the logic board.
Do you have an external monitor you could plug into your iMac? My assumption is the issue is with the LCD and not the GPU.

Kev-in-spain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2020
Thanks for the reply TwoH. I've ordered an adaptor to test with an external monitor. Supposing it works, any clue where to start with the LCD?
Please excuse my ignorance. I had plenty of experience with PC's in the past as they were forever breaking down but since I got a Mac in 2013 I'm a bit out of touch as it's never given me any trouble up to now.

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
Thanks for the reply TwoH. I've ordered an adaptor to test with an external monitor. Supposing it works, any clue where to start with the LCD?
Please excuse my ignorance. I had plenty of experience with PC's in the past as they were forever breaking down but since I got a Mac in 2013 I'm a bit out of touch as it's never given me any trouble up to now.
First things would try would be a NVRAM reset and an SMC reset. If those don't work, you might have to deep dive and take the LCD off - and if you haven't done that before it might not be easy, I'd suggest looking on somewhere like ifixit for a guide

Kev-in-spain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2020
I've tried it with an external monitor and it works perfectly... no lines, no flashing on and off, nothing. So I bought a second-hand LCD and swapped it over expecting this to be the end of my troubles but, no. Only some vertical sections of the screen are visible (image attached).
So, to recap, the original screen is completely blank, the replacement screen is only partially visible, it works fine with an external monitor and, one other thing, the fan is at full tilt in all instances.
My next cheapest option is to change the connection cable to the LCD but logic tells me that with both screens acting differently, this is not where the issue lies.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-02-23 at 16.23.37.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-02-23 at 16.23.37.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 141

SCREAM ESP

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2018
Asturias, Spain
I've tried it with an external monitor and it works perfectly... no lines, no flashing on and off, nothing. So I bought a second-hand LCD and swapped it over expecting this to be the end of my troubles but, no. Only some vertical sections of the screen are visible (image attached).
So, to recap, the original screen is completely blank, the replacement screen is only partially visible, it works fine with an external monitor and, one other thing, the fan is at full tilt in all instances.
My next cheapest option is to change the connection cable to the LCD but logic tells me that with both screens acting differently, this is not where the issue lies.
Any ideas?

You bought a second hand display. Are you sure it worked fine before you install it? Any hit or pull on the video cable? I'm almost sure the problem lies on the screen

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
I think problem lies within your imac screen, or screen cable or logic board connector.

Replace screen first, see if that helps..

Kev-in-spain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2020
You bought a second hand display. Are you sure it worked fine before you install it? Any hit or pull on the video cable? I'm almost sure the problem lies on the screen
Sorry for the delay in replying. Due to the restrictions in travel, I got stuck on the other side of the world with very limited internet access. Back home now and need to address this issue.
@SCREAM ESP
I saw the display working before I bought it so I know it's ok. I'm going to try changing the connection cable and will post the result in case anyone else is having the same experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.