iMac 21.5" + netbook vs Macbook pro 13" + acd vs Macbook pro 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eninety88, Oct 29, 2009.

1. eninety88 macrumors newbie

ahh decisions decisions. So i need all of your help picking between the three options!

I am selling my unibody macbook just because i need something with an SD card slot for photos because its getting pretty tiresome losing a usb for an adapter.
    I have an ACD 20" already and thats not going anywhere, and i have my laptop 320gb 7200rpm hdd and 4gb ddr3 ram laying around, so here are my options:

1. mid level 21.5" imac (4gb standard plus my 4gb = 8gb /drool) + a netbook (eee pc or acer aspire one)

2. MBP 13" 2.26ghz base model (cheapest option because i already have all the upgrades)

3. MBP 15" 2.53ghz base model.

I am a student, i do play some games: WoW, WC3, L4D, etc. nothing too crazy. i am a comp sci major and do work for a tech blog so multitasking is definitely a must. HELP!!

2. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

I would get the imac but not a netbook, instead save for a refurb mb... If you desperately need the portability and want a bit of power then go with the 15 although i do believe the 13.3 will be good enough for you[​IMG] but yeah if you can afford it, imac and then a refurb 13.3 macbook. Mind you just botcied you have an acd so if u got a refurb 15 and an external keyboars and mouse, you'll getthe best of both worlds. DO NOT get a netbook though, if you are anything like me, they will just frustrate you

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

You'd consider getting another 13" unibody MB because the new one 'MBP' ones have an SD card? That's a lot of money to pay for a slot, no?

Personally, I'd just go for the 15" MBP unless I wanted the portability.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I thought only the 27" iMac's got the additional RAM slots...your RAM won't work also...

5. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

Since your a college student you should probably keep the 13" AL MB unless you really want that port I would say just get the 13" Pro and max it out. Now why this over the base 15" Pro. Theres no added features rather than display size and being heavier. For features you would want to spend the mid range 15" or high end 15" for the Graphics Card. The netbook would ruin your heart during class as they can barely run XP nevermind OS X Hackintosh. However If you really want that iMac with the netbook just put Jolicloud on it. Personally just max out the 13" Pro:apple:

6. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Wrong.

Wrong again (see above link). iMacs use DDR3 notebook memory.

BTW, in my opinion, keep what you've got. It ain't worth the money for an SD slot.

7. eninety88 thread starter macrumors newbie

sd card for when i try to do some photography, plus 7 hour battery for those long days on campus... i live off campus and can be away from the plug for a bit. i'm trying to sell my umb for like $1000 so that would offset the price of a mbp 13". id only be spending $100-$200... not bad if you ask me for what im gaining.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...go to the apple store and you will see that only the 27" machines have the BTO option to configure them with 16GB of RAM (at 4x4 sticks)...

Both 21.5" machines have a max BTO of 8GB RAM, they don't have the two additional RAM slots of the larger monitor/logic board...

...that was the reason I said his current additional RAM wouldn't work...not because it was the same 204 pin DDR3 RAM size that apple is currently using in the majority of its lineup...

9. eninety88 thread starter macrumors newbie