iMac 21.5 new hard drive installation

Discussion in 'iMac' started by henpike, Jan 28, 2015.

1. henpike macrumors newbie

Hello. Was curious if someone can lead me in the right direction. Recently pulled out a failing Seagate 500gb hard drive from my iMac 21" and installed a seagate 1TB.
    After installing the new drive and reconnecting everything, I boot the machine , the chime comes on and it goes to a white screen. After about 20 seconds up comes a small gray folder with a question mark that blinks. I understand that its looking for and operating system and the drive is new and bare. I was told to I can get the OS X using internet recovery. I read command R would get me into disk utility. That did not work.
    I was told to try other combinations of keys and those did not seem to work. Be advised this is using the apple "wireless" mouse and keyboard. I then Tried using a microsoft "WIRED" keyboard, same commands and still had no luck getting into disk utility . I did notice when I held down the ALT key by itself using the microsoft keyboard, the mouse pointer appeared, but was frozen.
    I'm basically trying to put the OS on the new drive using internet recovery. I don't know if its the apple keyboard because its wireless or if Im doing something wrong . This is my first time doing a drive replacement on a Mac. The iMac is about 3 or 4 years old. Any advice or step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

You can only use internet recovery if the drive had OS X on it in the first place. If you bought a fresh new drive, it didn't.

So what you want to do is search the Forums for threads involving "clean install."

However, if your iMac has an optical drive and you still have the DVD that came with your Mac, you can install using that route.

3. henpike thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

That is partially true. if the Machine shipped with 10.7 or later, the firmware should recognize this and allow the machine to boot into Internet Recovery. and also make sure you are connected to the internet via Ethernet or wi-fi