Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gong123321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Have my new 21.5" iMac attached to an external monitor via hdmi. The external monitors resolution is 1920x1200 but the only display options for it in os x are 1080p and 1080i which obviously have a vertical resolution of 1080. According to AMD's site the gpu supports a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 through hdmi. Also, I am not mirroring the displays. This monitor's native resolution was supported on my first generation macbook pro--this is getting very frustrating, does anyone know what the problem could be? Does anyone have a similar setup that works?

Last edited:

Lucianrider

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
St. Lucia, West Indies
Have my new 21.5" iMac attached to an external monitor via hdmi. The external monitors resolution is 1920x1200 but the only display options for it in os x are 1080p and 1080i which obviously have a vertical resolution of 1080. According to AMD's site the gpu supports a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 through hdmi. Also, I am not mirroring the displays. This monitor's native resolution was supported on my first generation macbook pro--this is getting very frustrating, does anyone know what the problem could be? Does anyone have a similar setup that works?

Are you sure the monitor supports more than 1080 via the hdmi input?? I had the same issue with a windows 7 machine which was connected via a hdmi to a monitor that also had vga input but the pc only had dvi or hdmi. I could not get it to drive the monitor at anything above 1080 via the hdmi input....

gong123321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
You had a good point so I ordered a thunderbolt>dvi adapter. The settings menu does indeed now give me the option of setting the external monitors resolution to 1920x1200 but there is now a black border of black pixels around the entire screen maybe about a hundred pixels wide on the sides and 80 pixels top and bottom. WTH is going on????

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.