iMac 21.5 Nvidia or Radeon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by XxEjGxX, Dec 18, 2009.

1. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

Hey guys, this is my first time on this forum so i'm a bit of a noob
    Basicqlly I don't know what to get, is the Radeon one, the more expensive one worth the extra coin?
    Usually on my 20" iMac I browse the web, occasionally play CoD Mw2 and do my fair share of photo and video edits, usually in 720p HD with final cut pro
    what do you think? Thanks a lot for your support

2. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

For MW2 alone the Radeon 4670 is superior to the 9400M card. Id go for the radeon

3. aumnevergiveup macrumors member

aumnevergiveup

in gaming, radeon 4670 is more superrior than geforce 9400M. yes of course, because radeon is dedicated graphic. the 9400M are shared graphic, it take a little your RAM to used for. :D

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Easily go for the dedicated graphics! As another poster mentioned, the 9400M uses some of the system RAM for its memory, while the Radeon has its own VRAM. The 9400M is more of a "well, it's a video chip" thing that's good, but not for what you're doing. I mean that iMac will handle it all fine, but the Radeon will handle more of the graphics stuff and let your CPU deal with normal junk.

I don't think any of it is really an issue today, but it might be in three years. Half of buying these new machines is planning for three and four years down the road. My dad's iMac G5 just died after about 4.5 years, and it was getting on the slow side with the antiquated Power PC processor. I think he's going to be shocked at the speed of a 3 GHz dual-core processor. That sure would speed up my HandBrake usage if I had one!

5. XxEjGxX thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your help guys [​IMG] i don't really play cod much but i see what you mean... off to the apple shop me thinks for a nice 21.5 RADEON iMac