iMac 21.5" or 27" (video editing)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by frenchlemon, Feb 22, 2010.

1. frenchlemon macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post, so it's a bit longer than I would normally write..
    (I hope this is the right section, if not, mods.. do your thing!)

Ok, I've switched to Mac 3 years ago by buying a Macbook I've never had any problems (well.. a part from a few fans).. I love my mb! I used to be a hardcore windows user (I've got M$ heritage).. but no longer!

Anyways, to get to the point, I've now gotten into video editing (CS4), after moving from photography. This is all great fun until I start editing... :eek: :eek:
    At the moment I have to convert my AVCHD files to mov in iMovie, since even though Premiere can handle these files my macbook can't.. :( (I know it's suicidal to edit HD on a Macbook with FW400!)
    So I'm looking for a new Mac, and don't want to spend more than necessary, but I wan't something that will keep up with me the same amount of time. (3 years) Also want to get into AfterEffects, which I haven't even contemplated on my MB.

Do I go for a 21.5" iMac with the 4670 and 4/8Gb?
    Or
    Do I go for the 27" i5?

I like the idea of a quad, but don't want to spend money for nothing..
    I'm also looking at a external storage, either a Drobo, or something similar..
    Also the nice thing about the 21.5" is that I could hook up my current monitor (22") as a second screen, no? Any performance loss doing that?

Can I put away the cord and razorblades when I get a 21.5" iMac, or will it still not be super fast..

Hope you guys can fill me in on this...

FL.

Made my mum buy the baseline iMac the other day, but I have no easy access to her machine at the moment, so can't try the video edits.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you're going to use After Effects, I highly recommend you getting the i5 as AE can take advantage of multiple core so you'll gain a big performance boost. It'll also last you longer than C2D as Core 2 Duos are old tech while Nehalems are quite new

3. frenchlemon thread starter macrumors newbie

I really wish they made a i5 21.5" iMac, that would be ideal.. any rumors on that front? With all the problems with the 27", I'm a bit wary.. If it's within the next 2-3 months, I can wait...Thanks for the input!

FL.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

i5 is too hot for 21.5" as it's 95W while 3.33GHz C2D is 65W. Most problems of 27"s have been solved as far as I know

5. BA Baracus macrumors member

I can understand the heat issues associated with the i5 and i7 and how this would cause problems with the 21.5 enclosure.

What about the i3 going into the 21.5 imac? Any heat issues with this?

I'm like frenchlemon, keen to get the beefed up version of the 21.5 imac but dont need the massive 27" inch screen nor latest/greatest processor, but a punchy processor/graphics card in a 21.5 imac would be nice.

Already have a core2duo macbook so not that keen to get a core2duo imac.

Thanks in advance for any comments about the i3.

6. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Yup. The new 27"s are fine, and Apple is replacing problem screens with good ones. I had a yellow screen problem and just got my machine back. Now it's perfect.

7. blinkin182 macrumors regular

blinkin182

Why is i7 too hot for iMac 21.5"?

How could the i5 or i7 be too hot for iMac 21.5" if they managed to put it into the new MacBook Pro 17"?

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-17inch.html

I am also waiting for an update and hoping the i5 or i7 will become an option for 21.5" iMac.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The i5 and i7 used in 27" are desktop CPUs, quad core while MBPs are laptop, dual core.

There are i3s and i5s suitable for 21.5" but they are dual core, we'll likely see them though. High-end will remain pretty same in terms of performance

9. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

1. The i7s/i5s in the 27" iMac are desktop processors, which have more power draw (and thus run hotter) than the C2D chips found in the 21.5" iMacs. The 21.5" iMac has less internal space for components, making heat more of a potential issue. We're talking 95W versus 65W for a C2D chip.

2. The i7 found on the 17" MBP is a 35W dual-core processor, not a quad-core like the one available in the 27" iMac.

10. blinkin182 macrumors regular

blinkin182

That clarifies it for me, thanks.

So basically, if you want a next-gen quad-core processors, you need to go for a 27" iMac.

How do the i3s and i5s compare to the desktop i7?

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, there isn't coming any cooler quads from Intel AFAIK and I doubt Apple would use them anyway (due price).

They are very fast due their clock speeds (up to 3.46GHz + Turbo) but if an app can utilize all four cores, the lower clocked quad will still win.

They will be noticeable upgrade from C2Ds so definitely worth waiting if you're not getting quad 27".

12. Oyobiia macrumors member

Hey!

I have a i5 27" with 6GB ram. I use InDesign and After Effects (CS4) often without lag or issues. Personally I would go for the 27" as you get more desktop space and the i5 processor.

The 21" C2D would be ok... But if you want something for performance, get the i5. You won't regret it.

13. EasyJW macrumors member

the adobe collection will make amazing use of the quad plus c2d is dying out so if you're wanting it to last a while, then the i5 seems a better option [​IMG] plus you'll have an extra 6" of screen which is precious with editing

14. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The more the pixels the better for editing, and the 27" iMac has far more than the 21.5". Great for video or photos.

A second monitor can still be connected to the 27". I've got an old 20" Dell with 1600x1200 resolution connected to mine. I end up using both and a few Spaces as well.

15. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Go for the 27 i5, and if you can spend a couple hundred more get the i7.