iMac 21.5" or rMBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iFusionApple, Jun 25, 2013.

1. iFusionApple macrumors member

I will do an apprentiship in August. I will need some sort of own computer, probably mainly for at home, but being portable is never bad.

I'm wondering if I should buy an iMac or a MacBook.
    I want to do these things:
    -Office Work
    -Watch films
    -light photo-editing (just occasional)
    -not heavy gaming, but occasionly games like Assassin's Creed, GTA,... (Res or fps don't need to be very high)

My budget is quiet big, so don't worry about the price to start. Thanks all for your help!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Based on your needs, either computer will fit the bill.

The questions boils down to, do you want a computer with a 15" display that can move around or a computer that sits on your desk but has a 21" display.

If its going to sit on your desk the majority of time, the iMac is a great solution, otherwise get the rMBP

3. iFusionApple thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I think I'll go for MacBook, not yet sure what one.

----------

How well is the gaming performance on a Intel HD 4000 graphics card (for example in a rMBP) vs the HD 5000 in a new MBA? I know the other specs are different too, but how big is the overall difference?

4. sonicrobby, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

The HD 5000 is definitely better, but Ive never tried it to actually see. But I had a 13" MBP with the Intel HD 4000, and it could play garry's mod OK. got 15-30 fps, which isnt that great and having a dual core processor didnt help. I just upgraded to the 15" rMBP and I would definitely reccomend this one. These have dedicaded graphics cards (NVIDIA GT 650M - 1GB of graphics ram). Now im gettting 80-100+ fps on online games (and the quad core is a significant speed boost I well needed). If budget isnt an issue, and an extra 2" of screen not a big deal, then I would definitely reccomend the 15" rMBP

5. iFusionApple thread starter macrumors member

You said 15" rMBP has Nvidia gtX 650M. I live in Switzerland and here it just has a gt650m. But i agree, that model is the best, but pretty expensive too. Thanks!

6. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Im sorry my mistake, it is just a gt650m, but still significantly better than the intel HD 4000 or 5000 :p

7. iFusionApple thread starter macrumors member

It's okay :D
    Thought maybe they don't do the same in each country...

Is it worth to really spend 600 more just for that extra nvidia graphics card? I could live with the problem of the less fps when gaming...

And, is it worth to wait until Apple releases the rMBP with HD 5000, or should I just go for the one that is out now (I mean the 13")?

8. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

To me it was worth it, but i like me some high fps. I would definitely wait for this year's refresh regardless of which you choose. Its nearly july and it cant be too much longer before they announce it, Id say 3 months maximum.

9. iFusionApple thread starter macrumors member

So, lets say I choose the 15" rmbp. If they bring out the new one, it may have HD5000 and maybe the same GT650M. So for games it will use the Nvidia, and for anything else, I don't really need the new Haswell graphics card.

I prefer smaller notebooks (13" ideal), so probably I will wait for the new rMBP.

10. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Yeah it will probably have the haswell with the HD 5000, but speculation is they will have the next gen graphics of gt7xxm, but yeah that will ultimately trump the use of the HD5000 for that laptop.I think how it works is that it uses the HD5000 graphics most of the time, but when you open a game or a high graphic-requiring program (i.e. 3d modeling), the graphics from the nvidia card kick in.

Waiting is the best choice, the updates will probably bring better battery life and all around better graphics to all models. I also loved the form factor of my 13" MBP, I kind of miss it.

11. iFusionApple thread starter macrumors member

Would be cool with the new stuuf! :)

But on the new 13" model, do you think it will just have the Haswell 5000 or an other (better) graphics card? Because i think the intel cards aren't really designed to do a lot of intense 3D stuff. I would love the 13" model, cause it's cheaper, smaller, lighter and still good enough. But with a better graphics card, would be the ultimate.

We'll see...

12. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Indeed it would be awesome. They probably wouldnt put a better gcard in the base model of any 13" but if space permits it, they could possibly make it an upgradeable option.

13. iFusionApple thread starter macrumors member

I think I will be ok with the new rMBP 13"
    I really like that its very portable, fast, and that its got a very high resolution.

Btw: How glossy are the screens on the Retina versions?

14. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

You know, to be honest Im not sure :p With the screen all Ive really paid attention to was the beautiful retina. I can check when I get home later today. Actually if you want to search youtube, I have seen videos in the past comparing the screens of the retina and non-retina MBPs in terms of gloss and reflection

15. iFusionApple thread starter macrumors member

Is the retina display glossy? I mean like in a description or category. Other notebooks have matte displays.

16. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I believe it is

17. iFusionApple thread starter macrumors member

Okay thanks all guys! I will stop writing here since i decided to go for a mac.